 Castle / 13135
Re: New release of Castle series
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 10:47:14 GMT

Hi all,

Just a thought on this stuff about introducing specific historical lego, I
think most of us would like a return to the European-style castles that
dominated the 80s and early 90s but keep in mind that these castles were
still generic (not referring to a specific time or event in history). The
problem with the crusades is that, although it would make really cool
looking sets, it was a series of events that led to mass killing, raping,
pillaging, etc, in which most of the victims were innocent peasant-types -
not crusaders or turks! So how can one introduce such a theme without
making a perhaps misguided statement about history? I don't think that I
would like my children to start playing with crusader figures thinking that
"crusaders were cool!" because most of them were murderers. Plus TLC would
need to be damn careful not to make the Turks look like the "baddies" which
may be the natural way for some people to think.

In an age where sadly alot of young people are learning bogus history from
Hollywood films, we need to be more careful about how kids are taught
history. That is of course unless TLC would like to release a small set
called "Crusader with Dead Peasant" or "Crusaders with Burning House".

Return to the Euro-style castle theme I say, but keep it generic!

*steps down from soap-box*

Stephen

Matt Hein wrote:

Actually, I would really like to see some crusader
sets, with the white and red crosses, great swords, and full
plate armor to boot, even better, horse armor, not just bardings.
They could create several scenes, such as Pope Urban's address
to the crusaders, the marching forth (think knight's procession),
a christian monestery set, and of course, the great palace,
and turkish styled creations, such as a grand mecca, merchant square,
rogue forces, and an islam temple.
A theme such as this would be truly fascination, not in a Lego
sense, but also in a hostorical stance. To put it into short
words for me, though, more great parts...