Re: [ldraw.org] Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:01:34 GMT

At 03:14 AM 8/20/99 , Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

PS, the Adequate.com logo/banner has a red brick problem too.

IANAL, so I may be way off base, but I wouldn't worry quite as much about
that image, for several reasons:

1) It's got a blinking "Search..." on the side; it's not a static image
   of a brick.  (Maybe that's not a significant difference.)

2) What it points at (what it's supposed to point at when you use it) is
   a site which -doesn't- contain the red 2x4 brick in its logo.  The red
   2x4 brick appears only in the 88x31 button image.

3) And actually, more than the red brick, if I were TLG, I'd be concerned
   about the confusing use of the phrase "LEGO Maniac's Search," which
   sounds like a TLG-sponsored site (which it isn't).  However, Patrick has
   been careful to precede "LEGO Maniacs' Search" with the name
   "ADEQUATE.com" in the upper-left corner of the search page and most other
   pages.  This helps cue the viewer in quickly that the site is unofficial.

So if I were a newbie online and I visited Patrick's search page, I wouldn't
think it was an official LEGO site.  (Although I might if I saw the red
brick button before I clicked it.)

Personally I didn't think twice about the Adequate.com red brick on the
button.  1) I don't see it around that often and 2) to me the red 2x2
doesn't represent TLG (but to some it may).

OTOH, if I were a newbie and I visited the www.ldraw.org homepage, I'd
probably assume (incorrectly, of course) that the site was devoted to some
LEGO-produced CAD program called LDraw -- especially with that beautiful
6982 image and keywords like "Contact Us."  Now obviously, if I take a few
moments to actually read the text, I'll see that this first impression is
false -- but the homepage is *so* well done that I'd really be confused for
a bit.

Thanks :)  Uhm, the 6982 was intended to be a temporary thing until we
could get the model of the month thing cycling.  Not a lot of work, but the
subject kinda died.

If some short phrase (one designed to wipe out *any* possibility of
confusion) were inserted at the very top of the www.ldraw.org homepage,
that would really help, I think!

Could you define very top?  Would right under the MLCad article do??

-Tim Courtney
  ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org
http://www.zacktron.com