Subject:
LDraw.org Tutorials - Categorization, Storage, Indexing, etc...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 04:16:21 GMT

I've gotten quite a few tutoraial submissions recently, and a bunch more
promised.  This is so cool!!  Keep it up, folks!

For this reason, we need to discuss how we should store the tutorials on
LDraw.org.  We should develop a system now with room for growth so the
tutorials section doesn't become messy.  For reference, see:

http://www.ldraw.org/reference/tutorials/

Ahui Herrera, currently the most active tutorial writer (with two or three
more sitting in my inbox waiting for me to format), suggests an
abbreviation/number system, similar to [at least] US college courses.

This might mean a minor restructuring of the current tutorial section, but
if it makes it easier to categorize things for future additions, I'm for it.

Example:

Animation 101 -or-
LA101 - LEGO/LDraw Animation, 101 - the first tutorial in a series, the most
basic

Likewise, he sent me a tutorial for

LC - LEGO Conversion

First off, it should be renamed 'LDraw Conversion.'  Second, is this a big
enough subject to merit its own category?

Also, there could be:

LPF - LDraw/POV-Ray Foundation
-- POV basics as they apply to modeling LDraw-generated[1] scenes

LMA - LDraw Model Authoring
-- Self-explanatory - basics of designing LDraw models.  Could be subjective
based on what editor the user is using

LBI - LDraw Building Instructions
-- Instrucitons on how to design nicely formatted building instructions, the
Guild of Bricksmiths(tm)'s work comes to mind immediately.

LPA - LDraw/POV-Ray Advanced
-- Scene construction, effects, etc...

Any others?  I'm sure people here can find more.  Lets develop a standard,
that would help the tutorial section expand in the most logical, organized
fashion.

-Tim

[1] LDraw meaning the 'LDraw system of tools,' encompassing all LDR file
generating editors, such as MLCAD, LeoCAD, etc.... NOT limited to
'ldraw.exe' or 'ledit.exe' the DOS programs.  The broader definition of
LDraw.  (I'm really pushing this brand building thing hard, aren't I?) ;-)