Re: LDraw.org Tutorials - Categorization, Storage, Indexing, etc...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 04:20:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Tim Courtney writes:
Well, I might reconsider that.  Sproat's been bugging me for
some templates to use to do HTML, and I caved. ;-)  So, I'll
probably stick up an LDraw.org formatting guide.  The only
thing is, I'll still have to spend time reviewing the format
if it doesn't line up when I stick it online.

Well, you could just use regular old HTML the way it was meant to be
used:
<H1-6></H1-6> for headers, and <p></p> for paragraphs and then use CSS
and includes to make it fit the LDraw design...

That's how the site works now, minus the <h1-6> tags.  And, once a few other
things get addressed - like the Download section updating, Variable-width
tables on certain pages, etc, I'll address the <h1-6> issue of making
headers.  That will go along with some other site-wide structural changes
which won't have much of a visible effect to the user.

Or you could add an FTX interpretter to LDraw.org...

That I would have to ask Todd about.  And I might want to then customize
some things - like adding tags for certain CSS classes, etc.

But for now, HTML is fine.  If the site gets HUGE, it might be worthwhile
working with Todd to have an FTX interpreter.  Its still only moderately
large... and even though we have a 'surge' of tutorials and other
contributions right now, they're still manageable fairly easily by human beings.

If we grow another order of magnitude like we did last fall (3000 hits/wk to
30,000 hits/wk), we'll definitely need a better solution.  But, my guess is
that won't come for a while yet.

LDraw Animation 101 - Simple Movement - Version 1.0

Another idea going along with the class analogy:

Class: ANIM 101
Prerequistes: MODL 101, POVR 101

Where MODL 101 would be model creation with MLCAD/LeoCAD/LDraw and POVR
would be a beginners tutorial for creating POV files with L3P.

I kinda like your abbreviations better.... :-)

Thoughts anyone?  Single letter abbreviations, or shorthand abbreviations
for the words they represent?

-Tim