Re: LDraw.org Tutorials - Categorization, Storage, Indexing, etc...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:51:09 GMT

I thought it would be a good idea if the tutorials were available for
download in Microsoft Help format.  I slapped one up onto the web as an
example.  Check it out.  Here's the URL:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quadrant/3864/mhelp.htm

I also thought that writing tutorials to fit in Microsoft Help would be a
good trainer for those writing tutorials for the web.

Here are some other ideas I have regarding the LDraw.org site.

Forget the class 101 thing.  It gives me a headache.  I'm already in school,
I don't need to be reminded...

The categories "Reference" and "Documentation" should be reversed.  A
tutorial is much more a constituent of documentation, and specification is
much more a constituent of reference, etc.  Also, I think specifications and
glossary should fit under reference (after the reversal).

You could create a list of words that need defining, and post it on the web,
under the "We're Looking for These Tutorial Topics:" section, maybe.  Then
people can define these words, one by one.  Maybe not everyone has time to
complete a whole tutorial as a contribution, but I bet more people would be
willing to contribute glossary terms, one by one.  You could also include a
form at the bottom of each tutorial, stating "Which of these words did you
not understand?".  The visitor could then enter a word, or a series of words
separated by a comma, into a form box.  The results could then be output
into another text page.

Also, if the glossary were <A HREFFED> we could correlate each occurance of
a term with its analogue in the glossary, respectively. This would aid in
organizing our term content, and help those who are looking for more
information.

LMKWYT

-Mike

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jimmy Figiel writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jimmy Figiel writes:

I have some concerns with over burdening Tim with the reformating and
posting of the tutorials.  I would hate to bug him everytime a change
or enhancement is made.  I built mine in lugnet using the ftx language.  It
was actually very easy to use.  If we all built them there, Tim would just
have to maintain the links, and all the tutorials would be formatted the
same way.

I hate to respond to my own post, but I had another thought.  Is there a format
that would make your life easier to post and that fits within the ldraw.org
layout?  Maybe putting the entire tutorial into a html table. If we can find
some way to format our tutorials in the same manor it might help.

(I personaly like keeping them in lugnet and completely taking the burden
off of Tim.)

Jimmy 8(:O))