Re: LDraw.org Tutorials - Categorization, Storage, Indexing, etc...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:41:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ahui Herrera writes:
I think you guys are missing Tim's point.

Kinda sorta.  Note, replying to this out of order.

I Think Tim's idea was to have all LDRAW related tutorials in one central
location on the LDRAW site and not lugnet.  Lugnet covers a broader area.
As is some of the animation tutorial of mine and covering basic POV stuff
which is technically NOT ldraw.  So overlap is going to happen.  But
hopefully the tutorials on the ldraw site are in someway related to the
ldraw system tools.

You're absolutely right here.  I would like as many tutorials as possible to
be hosted on LDraw.org.  (only limited by author consent, but I doubt that
will be a problem).  FTX is great for page creation, but it doesn't
reinforce the idea of LDraw.org as _the central site_ for LDraw resources.

Currenlty when you go to the
LDraw tutorial section you have a list of tutorials.  What Tim envisions is
you go to the ldraw tutorial webpage and you see what?  A list of
categories, groups, etc... So when you click on say the aniamtion group you
then get a list of all courses in the animation group (LA101, LA102, LA201,
etc...) When you click on LA101 you get the tutorial.

Yep.  Or, just categories all on one page, clicking the tutorial gets you
there.  No need to break it up to another heirarchy level directory wise
until we're busting at the seams with tutorials....

So the formating is min. IF we all just provide Tim with a .txt file and the
images.  Now the point some of you are making is what the FORMAT of the
tutorial itself shoudl be?

Well, I might reconsider that.  Sproat's been bugging me for some templates
to use to do HTML, and I caved. ;-)  So, I'll probably stick up an LDraw.org
formatting guide.  The only thing is, I'll still have to spend time
reviewing the format if it doesn't line up when I stick it online.

It will eliminate some burden from me though. :-)

For that I think we have two current views:  is this a hands-on step-by-step
tutorial like LA101 or an information based like the beta camera POV
tutorial (see early post).  A step-by-step IMO should follow this format

Page 1 - Title of tutorial, version, date
        Intended Level of Audience: BEGINNERS, INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCE

For brevity:
Skill Level: Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced

        Requirements:
           Software Needed (list with links or not)
           Knowledge Needed (list basic skills)
           Any Pre-req tutorials
        What this tutorial will teach you
        Theory (if any - may expand to page 2)

So, lets take your existing one and apply it to the format as an example:

LDraw Animation 101 - Simple Movement - Version 1.0
By: Ahui Herrera

Last Modified: January 21, 2002
Target Audience: Beginner
Requirements:
  Software: Original LDraw Suite and Parts Libraries, POV-Ray, L3P,
MLCAD(recommended), L3PAO (recommended)
  Skills: Model creation using LDraw or second generation editor such as
MLCAD or LeoCAD.

This tutorial will teach the reader simple movement of an LDraw model using
POV-Ray's animation features.

Theory?  Ahui?

Anyways, you get my point.  It would be cool to arrange this in an
attractive header area...  That was my attempt above....

Page 2+  Step by Step procedure with images for every 1 or 2 steps.  Avoid a
sea of text with no images.  Use screenshots of what the read should have at
each step or two

Now for information based courses/tutorials I'm not sure what format to
follow.  I like the POV camera one of providing a line-by-line code
explanation, this is great for BEGINNERS but not advanced users.

POV Camera positioning IS a beginner topic.  So its appropriate :-)

Am i off base here Tim?

Not at all. :-)

-Tim