Re: LDraw.org Tutorials - Categorization, Storage, Indexing, etc...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:25:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ahui Herrera writes:
I think you guys are missing Tim's point.
<snip>
So when you click on say the aniamtion group you
then get a list of all courses in the animation group (LA101, LA102, LA201,
etc...) When you click on LA101 you get the tutorial.

I essintialy agree.  The format of the tutorials was not the point of
the original post.  I do like the numbering, I think that it helps not
to label the groups with an encoded prefix, I would prefer
LDRAW ANIMATION 101 vs. LA101.

So the formating is min. IF we all just provide Tim with a .txt file and the
images.

I think that this still puts to much burden on Tim to do all of the formating.

Now the point some of you are making is what the FORMAT of the
tutorial itself shoudl be?

I don't think that we necessarily need to dictate the format of the tutorial.
I belive that there needs to be a great deal of flexibility of the order and
style that a tutorial presents.  However, I do think that there needs to
be HTML formating standards so that can provide a little more than just text
to Tim.  We could for example have some style sheets or javascript that
handle the pagelayout part of the tutorial.  This would let us all build
the tutorials on our own and let us know that what we give to Tim can be
dropped right into the website.

I Think Tim's idea was to have all LDRAW related tutorials in one central
location on the LDRAW site and not lugnet.  Lugnet covers a broader area.
As is some of the animation tutorial of mine and covering basic POV stuff
which is technically NOT ldraw.  So overlap is going to happen.  But
hopefully the tutorials on the ldraw site are in someway related to the
ldraw system tools.
-Ahui

Agreed.  (I just like the FTX language. It made pagelayout so simple)

Jimmy 8(:O))