Re: LDraw.org Tutorials - Categorization, Storage, Indexing, etc...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:03:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
For this reason, we need to discuss how we should store the tutorials on
LDraw.org.  We should develop a system now with room for growth so the
tutorials section doesn't become messy.

This has probably been suggested before, but why not give each tutorial its
own directory?  Unless there's a very close limit to the directory depth,
I'd recommend using the web server's existing namespace rather than
inventing a new (and more difficult to enforce) namespace using filenames.

I think that the directory way is the correct way to manage the files.
I also like the numbering idea.  That might help break down beginning or
advanced nature of the tutorial.  It would also help make a nice clean
index page.

I have some concerns with over burdening Tim with the reformating and
posting of the tutorials.  I would hate to bug him everytime a change
or enhancement is made.  I built mine in lugnet using the ftx language.  It
was actually very easy to use.  If we all built them there, Tim would just
have to maintain the links, and all the tutorials would be formatted the
same way.