 CAD / Development / 1808
Re: Voting Comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:11:32 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 21:04:11 GMT, "Anders Isaksson"
<isaksson.etuna@REMOVEebox.tninet.se> wrote:

Steve Bliss skrev i meddelandet <3741a8a1.20817582@lugnet.com>...

I've thought about writing a function in LDAO to sort a DAT file by
line-type: first the 2 (edges) and 5 (conditionals), then the 1 (may be
edges, surfaces, or both) then the 3 (triangles) and 4 (quads).

Steve

Is that safe for transparent pieces?

I toyed a little with re-sorting some parts to 'outside-in' instead of
'inside-out' to make the drawing faster (minimize overdraw), but then I
realized that transparent pieces would not render correctly.

Order of drawing doesn't matter, except for coincident objects.

For transparent surfaces vs. edges, it matters even less: the edge must
'show through' the surface, or the renderer isn't working right.

LDraw and LDLite both display transparent surfaces by skipping every other
pixel, allowing the underlying features to show through.

Steve