 CAD / Development / 1754
Re: Voting Comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 08:31:02 GMT

"John VanZwieten" <john_vanzwieten@msn.com> writes:

It's a good thing you spend so much effort to verify the parts!

2851: This may be getting a bit picky for this part, but where the
peg holes meet the rounded edge, this surface is modeled as flat,
rather than rounded.  As a result, the 1-4cyli.dats do not match up
to the 4-4cyli.dats.  This is mostly noticable in ldlite with shading
on.

It is probably a bad practice to use two 1-4cyli.dats on each side and
rotate them partially to make space for the peg hole, as I did.  A
better practice would probably be to inline two 2-4cyli.dat on each side
and then cut out the space required for the peghole.  This will make the
part render better in LDLITE with shading.  I can do that.

BUT: It will make the part look stupid in L3P->POV-Ray, because the
piston will consist of a cylindrical surface below and above the
pegholes, then a jagged surface in the middle, and even holes between
them.  This was what I wanted to avoid by using the partially rotated
1-4cyli.dats.

So what do you want?  Plague or cholera?  ;-)

2854: There are little gaps on either side of the "canyon" where the
axlehole is open on its side.  I think in the following lines, 3
should be replaced with 4.
  4 16 -1 -1 -10 -3 -1 -10 -3 -1 0 -1 -1 0
  4 16 -1 1 -10 -3 1 -10 -3 1 0 -1 1 0
  4 16 1 -1 10 3 -1 10 3 -1 0 1 -1 0
  4 16 1 1 10 3 1 10 3 1 0 1 1 0

Thanks for noticing this!  I haven't checked it out yet, but I will
check it out at home.  (I have a sizzling new computer at home, so I
don't have to sneak in at work at nights to model parts anymore.  I
finally got to finish off a few parts, too.  Look at the
lugnet.cad.dat.parts group.)

I had a really hard time verifying this part, but could not find any
problems with it.  I'm glad you did.  I'll fix it and send the
corrections to Terry K.

Fredrik