 Announcements / 2106
  Announcing FTX for discussion groups

I am very happy to announce three changes today to the LUGNET News web interface: Fixed-width font now used for plain-text messages. Once upon a time, when LUGNET first served up messages via the web, messages were displayed in a fixed-width font. (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX) !!

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

Oh man ====== I think this might wind up being abused. It's funny, earlier today I was trying to find a picture link for the new "Built to Rule" transformer line on one of the Transformer news groups and I was thinking how glad I was that Lugnet was (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

Oh man ====== I think this might wind up being abused. It's funny, earlier today I was trying to find a picture link for the new "Built to Rule" transformer line on one of the Transformer news groups and I was thinking how glad I was that Lugnet was (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

Oops. didn't mean to double post. (...) Hey my name no longer has dash but a number 1 in front of it!? Mike Petrucelli (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) LOL... I'm sure the novelty will wear off after a while. --Todd (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) (*cough* *cough* always preview *cough* *cough* :-) You wrote a paragraph of type "-" (count-down list). There's only one item in the list, so it got the number one. --Todd (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Yeah. Narf. Didn't it used to automatically do that? (...) I figured that out but thanks for the heads up anyway. The more I think about it, the more I think when used in moderation the new FTX tools will be very useful. I guess my initial (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Automatically preview? How? Like you mean, when you press the Post button without Previewing first, it automatically previews? ;-) I think possibly the Post button should maybe be removed or grayed out at first (before you click Preview) to (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) I am not a fan of the fixed-width text. It looks like what we used to do in high school to meet that 3 page requirment for english reports when we only had a tad more than 2 pages typed ;) But seriously, IMHO it is harder to read, and kinda (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Uh, yeah! The uberposters would have to slow down to normal poster levels and wouldn't that be a drag. :) (...) I've got to congratulate you on the color subtleties as well. That's probably going to be the nicest feature as we continue to (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Maybe I am thinking of paypal where the first time you hit submit it takes you to the reveiw page to verify everthing then the submit button at the bottom actually lets you send your money. (...) Of course. I guess it is easier for people (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) I'm not a big fan of it either, but for the past 4-1/2 years, a proportional spaced font has been causing no end to headaches for people. The good news is that there are other fonts out there (for example Lucida Typewriter) that are easier to (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Aw, hey, man, don't do that...you're gonna make someone's brain melt. --Todd (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) LOL, no... +X is what you'd have to write if you wanted to cajole a count-up list + into counting downward. If you just want a count-up list, you can use + without the X number, like this: + foo + bar + zot which results in: foo bar zot --Todd (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) ROFL! Hey, I could've left Henry's mugshot up there, but I thought I'd try something a bit smaller. Now just imagine the confusion I could have caused by linking to the help pages. ;) (...) -Dave (who's done experimenting for the day) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Of course, it make perfect sense now. Its Definately Bed Time Now The novelty will wear off right? -Mike Petrucelli (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

Hey! I made that! It's called the (URL) Zolqwith I like this new feature! A great day in Lugnet History! Thank you Todd· Eric Sophie (...) (URL) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(URL) Hey! I made that! It's called the (URL) Zolqwith> I like this new feature! A great day in Lugnet History! Thank you Todd· Eric Sophie Photographs ©2003 Todd Lehman. All rights reserved. (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.test, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

~^> This time the (URL) Right Way> · Eric Sophie Can you name these People? (URL) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.people, FTX)

  FTX for discussion groups - really I got it this time

This time the (URL) Right Way> · Eric Sophie Can you name these People? (URL) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.people, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) My main concern is the extra time it takes to download messages containing in-line images rather than links to images. This is especially worrisome when using the Entire Thread on One Page or the This Message and its Replies on one Page (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) I'd like to see FTX special characters on message previews stripped. When viewing via the web interface, I see the special characters that create the formatted text. The brief message previews should be all plain text with those characters (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... <a blank message with an attachment> Todd, are these FTX messages supposed to show in newsreaders? Because right now OE shows a blank message with an attachment. I REALLY, REALLY hate the idea of having to open an (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Brian, What if there were an option you could set which prevented the inline display of images that are larger than some size you specify? --Todd (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Previews? Like when you're posting? That preview? Or do you mean the brief abstract article displays? (...) Mmmm, good idea. (...) What didn't work? I see the article you linked to. Did it not show up in when you previewed prior to posting? (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) d'Oh! (...) Yes. (...) d'Oh! (...) Sorry about that! I think I can fix that. (...) My apologies -- I didn't realize that newsreaders would have a problem with the content-type tag. I'll figure out some different headers that will make it work (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

Todd, I enounter an anomaly in Outlook Express (6.00.26) with FTX-formatted posts, as OE seems to think every such post has an attachment (showing the paper clip symbol in the thread view). This is not a serious problem, but a bit irritating, as (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) This is terrible news! How is this going to be rendered on a text-based newsreader? Not everyone is using a GUI for NNTP you know! --Bill. XFUT: lugnet.admin.nntp (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) I am also very happy, except for.... (...) this. At least on my computer, the rainbow of colors are all just a bit too light/faint. It is very difficult to read some of the text. I would like to blame it on my own moniter, but everything else (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) I dunno about him, but when I first looked at his post, there was a blank space where the article now appears. Looking now, I see the article. slow load, maybe? James (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) That would be fine as long as it's setting that persists across sessions. Zero should be a valid choice! Hopefully the links for the images that get filtered would be clickable to view the image. (Not sure what you would do if the image was (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) He means in the Brief abstract article displays, as opposed to Compact mode. In particular, the brief for the message he referenced has the curly braces and square brackets which FTX would recognize. Tim is suggesting they should be not appear (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) It didn't appear for me in the preview, and I didn't go back to check it afterwords until now. Now it's working. -Tim (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Guess I'm not up on the difference between Brief and Compact. Thanks :-) -Tim (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) I think we're going to lighten them a little bit. And when we get CSS going later down the road, you'll be able to assign your own colors (if you want to). (...) Well, you can still do that of course in plain-text posts. Or in FTX you could (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Sorry about that. I think I can fix this tonight. (...) It's because of the "text/x-ftx" part of that header, yes. Although, I believe that the RFCs say that a client is supposed to assume plain text if it sees a type of "text" and a subtype (...) (21 years ago, 28-May-03, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) btw, could we have a way to change the default post type to plain text, instead of it defaulting to FTX? (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) You mean in the web posting interface? Plain text already is the default. Or at least the default default. The default reply type for a plain text message is plain text, and the default reply type for an FTX message is FTX. But the default (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Mmm, any idea why sometimes my replies are pushed to the bottom when I want them at the top? Still, a (URL) idea. -JHK (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Because that's where replies belong in threaded discussions? --Todd (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Done! --Todd (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Still needs some work in the case of when both bold and italics are used on the same text. Reference the brief description for msg# 4191 in either the main pages or as FTX'd into Tim's message </publish/?n=4207>. Brian H. Nielsen (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

In lugnet.off-topic.test, Eric Sophie wrote: <snipic> (...) Hey, I too like the NEW available features ! Continuing a "great day" in Lugnet History with the Quick Reference Guide! Thank you Todd and How did you achieve such an awesome effect on the (...) (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.test, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Oh! Thanks for catching that, Brian. I had a typo in my regex. --Todd (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) You mean the wooshy background on the photo of Eric Sophie's Zolquith? I Started with a solid background, then applied an add-noise filter (10%, monocrhome, gaussian) followed by a radial blur filter (10%, zoom). --Todd (21 years ago, 29-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.test, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) SNIP (...) are the symbols to the left of the text window in 'reply' web interface mode part of the additions? I see ©, ®, & others, but we need the cent symbol! :) other letters for French/other names or words would be cool too just my (...) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Yes! 'é' please... it'll save me having to type cafe in Word® (which gets automatically converted to café) and copying the 'é' back to LUGNET. (Although the observant reader will note that 'Misérable' is in my flashy new 'sig', so I could just (...) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) You might want to try typing ALT + 162 to get the ¢ sign. Though as I've mentioned in another posting... for some reason, I need to type ALT + 0162 to get the right value. I'm still wondering if this is me doing something wrong, or if this is (...) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Yes, but they're supposed to show on the right, not on the left. (...) If you click the "more..." link, it shows a reference card and it shows that the cent symbol is 162 (in the ISO-8859-1 character set). (...) Those aren't on your keyboard? (...) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Richie, what happens when you press Alt+0233 (type the 0233 on the numeric keypad)? --Todd (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) AFAIK, it's a Windows thing. In DOS, you didn't have to type the leading 0. --Todd (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

Yikes! I just posted a reply and all my text was moved to the bottom of the message! Oy! Sure it makes it easy to read when the only message you read, in a thread, is the last one. But if you read the replies as the come in then you're forced to (...) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Please note that the above chart is not an ASCII chart. ASCII character codes range from 0 to 127 and nothing else. What the chart shows is the ISO-8859-1 (Latin1) character set. But it's not even correct at that, because 128 through 159 are (...) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Good! That's where your replies belongs in a threaded discussion. (...) Not if you trim irrelevant portions of the reply correctly. (...) Top-posting is a fine thing for non-threaded discussions, especially where the recipient list changes (...) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) BTW, just to double-check... It did show you a big huge yellow and red message box on the preview page explaining this, yes? --Todd (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

... (...) Scrolling sucks! (he says smiling) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Yes it did. BTW thanks for all the continued effort... I really like the abiltiy to format (etc...) the posts now. SteveB (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) I agree (smiling). If you have scroll, of course, to read the reply, then it means that someone didn't prune the quoted text like they should have. --Todd (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) My bad. Sorry about that. (...) I guess I have always seen the codes above 127 referred to as the 'Extended ASCII' set. Perhaps that's neither accurate nor official. Still... I'm really enjoying the results of these changes. All the best! (...) (21 years ago, 30-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Hey, it gives me an 'é'! Cool! Two problems though: it's harder to remember 0233 than 'café', and I often work from a laptop, where the numeric keypad functionality is awkward (or maybe I've just never got used to it.) I'll force myself to use (...) (21 years ago, 31-May-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Todd, Yes. Thanks for the insight. ;-) Keep up the great work! -ªþ§aada (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.off-topic.test, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) I guess I don't see the advantage of this part, and I can't stand how when reading via the web it makes the listed posts look one way, and the posts themselves a completely different way. Plus, that fixed-width font is a killer on the eyes. (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

(...) Do you have Lucida Typewriter? Try setting your fixed-width font to default to that...it's a bit easier on the eyes than Courier. (...) Well, the only consolation I can offer today is a promise that we're making movements towards CSS, which (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups

It is summer time, not lego time (= winter time), so I haven't felt this before now. I haven't seen this in my newsreader, but I can imagine that it might look really funny/odd. But leaving that of, here is my first suggestion: I will only post (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish)