 Ambassadors / 293
Re: Opinions about LEGO consumer service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:51:55 GMT

Felix Greco wrote:
Hello all,

We have been asked to get gather some testimonials from AFOLs regarding the
service of LEGO consumer services.  Please respond to this post with any
information you would like passed on.   If you've interacted with them, please
let us know if you've had positive interactions, problems, issues, or just
general impressions you may have.

To got the ball rolling, here are my thoughts:

I wrote customer service a letter when I was seven to tell them I thought
correcting people who said 'laygoes' was lame.  I never recieved any
correspondence back on this most important issue.

Otherwise, I have never called or had interactions with the costumer service
department.  Before meeting folks like Steve Witt and Jake McGee, my
interactions with anyone from the company was at LEGO stores.  For the most
part, they never seemed to know much about the product beyond how to ring it up
at the register.  I doubt if I were missing a piece or had a major complaint
that I would even contact costumer service at this point.  These days we have
community reps (Steve Witt, Ambassadors) who seem to fill that role and carry on
opinions and concerns. My general impression is that if I call cosumer service,
I'm going to get some desk employee who will have little to give me in the way
of information or action.

Felix Greco

LEGO Ambassador

OK "Customer Service" and consumer service stories...

First, two "Customer Service" the organization in Enfield
circa 1995 I wrote a letter to Susan Williams (yes, I was in my twenties
and I addressed a letter to Ms Williams :) about the introduction of
pastel LEGO. Being a boy, I don't understand the need for everything
that is targeted at girls to be pastel in color. I observed that there
were many sets in the line that boys might by if they weren't pastel
color (in my boy centric mind, I think that pastels are more offensive
to boys than bright primary colors are to girls).

I also observed that LEGO might consider putting more female minifigures
into their sets if they wanted to attract more girls to the toys. To
make my point, I went though the catalog and counted up the number of
females in the various themes and observed how each them could be made
more approachable to girls by including female minifigs. To my surprise,
I received a response. The response told me that their research
indicated that pastels would get more girls to play with LEGO. The
letter also thanked me for my observations about the lack of female
minifigs in the various themes. To my even greater surprise, LEGO had
included a selection of female torsos, heads, and hair pieces!

In 2005 I ordered a bridge from LEGO factory and it was missing a few
pieces when it arrived. I called 1-800-422-5346 to report the problem.
The Customer Service representative on the other end of the line was
very affable and very helpful. From my side of the conversation it
sounded like she pulled up the order and was able to pull up the actual
model that I ordered on her computer. We chit chatted pleasantly while
she recorded which pieces were missing, and then she sympathetically
told me that it will take a little while since the actual pieces have to
be shipped from Denmark. I received the pieces within a reasonable time
period.

So, my experiences with "Customer Service" in Enfield have been very
positive. They were always friendly and efficient. Simply put, they have
been a joy to deal with.

Stories about the quality of customer service in general. Until recently
I used to order from the 800 number for the Shop at Home service. More
recently (for no particular reason) I tend to order things through the
web site. In the past, I found the 800 number sales representatives to
be polite and helpful, and I had never had a problem with an order (I
usually placed my orders during regular business hours).

More recently, (in March) my mother decided to buy a LEGO set, set
10183, but decided to use the 800 number instead of the web site. When
she called the Shop at Home number, she was told that she could not buy
that set over the phone because it was only available through the web
site. I have confirmed that my mother did indeed give the operator the
correct number. Needless to say, the operator was wrong, but my mother
went and with the help of my father purchased the set through the web site.

I have heard similar stories on LUGNET; that is, for the most part the
sales staff at the 800 number are great, but every once and a while you
get a sales representative that show a lack of knowledge about the
product line. Some have linked this phenomenon to the time of day and
therefore the group (inside LEGO vs outside LEGO) of operators you
happen to get. In the absence of real data though, this is, at best,
merely a plausible hypothesis.

In the Brand Retail stores I (Natick and Burlington) have found the
sales people to be friendly and helpful.

Chris

--
http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/

Learn about brittle bone disease