 Administrative / Terms of Use / 127
Re: 2 x Armada Flagship = Armada Warship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:40:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Frank Filz writes:

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.terms, Frank Filz writes:
Chiding people about breaking rules that aren't

yet (inserted by Lar)

rules is rather poor form.

I forgot about that! EXCELLENT point, Frank. Smacks of vigilantism and of
enforcing mores that aren't actually in effect (which phenomenon I am quite
familiar with, living in Grand Rapids as I do, but I digress).

I like to keep people honest :-)

I sincerely hope that the new TOU get resolved pretty soon. It seems to me • that the flaming about perceived rules breaking is
getting worse (over the past couple months, I don't think any discussion of • misplaced auction posts has occurred, but there sure has
been a lot about other types of market posts which are currently allowed in • any group so long as they relate to that groups purpose
(since the rules currently don't even include a recommendation against such
postings).

I have not seen too much of this - but I suppose I have not really been looking
for it. I suppose if it is difficult to know if people are upset by the post
itself, or the perceived rule breaking - or perhaps both. Personally, I have no
gripe against interesting sales (large lots / rare items), but common/dull
items are just noise IMHO. In any event, there is no real way of really knowing
what people, as a whole, feel on this - or if what they do feel is compatible
with Todd's long term aims for this webspace.

I also hope that the new rules will make it clear about plugs in sigs, and I'm

beginning to feel that blatant market plugs in sigs
should also not be allowed since I can see similar discussion occurring. Of

course if the people who would pursue vigilante justice
(thanks for suggesting that word - so far, Todd has not deputized anyone to be

cops) would make an effort to understand the rules,
we wouldn't have these flames....

I expect the web interface to become more and more dominant. So, unless Todd
spends some time on it, signatures will become laborious cut and paste affairs.
Personally, I like signatures (market or otherwise) - they are often the most
interesting part of the post :-)

Scott A

Frank