 Administrative / Terms of Use / 122
Re: 2 x Armada Flagship = Armada Warship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 17:01:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Larry Pieniazek writes:

To Eric: One thing I gleaned from your replies to Jude (and I agree with you,
thrash this out, it's good to discuss, even if you happen to be wrong about
the
issue itself :-) ) is that the order that stuff was posted was part of the
problem?

Had it been posted in the other order (to pirates first, then to
marketplace) it would have been OK?

That seems unsupportable. The order posted and the order read have only a weak
correlation.

Ah... hmmm.

First, as I tried to hint to you earlier, I don't really think that this post
was necessarily nothing but a blatant flog.  I did think it raised an
interesting point to debate, though, because it would be easy to flog in this
manner and claim that you were "just discussing a model you built".

I certainly think that Frank's suggestion of more discussion about the building
techniques used would lend more value to a post like this in the theme specific
groups- of course, I also understand that this idea puts people selling custom
sets over a bit of a barrel- explain too much, an people will just build your
set without buying it from you.  I guess including a certai number of
hard-to-get parts would mitigate that a bit, though.

Anyway.  The order certainly set off a flag in my head, and I can honestly say
done the other way 'round I probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

However, I think the correlation between the order posted and the order read:
A) Is pretty strong (a lot of people read Lugnet every day, and even if they
don't, most of the people I know read threaded discussion groups in
chronological order) and b) is a straw man, because the order people read the
posts in has *absolutely* nothing to with the intention behind those posts.

Sorry to take so long to reply to these things, I haven't been anywhere near a
keyboard lately, and I'm about to go away again.  Ah, glorious freedom!

eric