 Administrative / Terms of Use / 120
Re: 2 x Armada Flagship = Armada Warship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 03:02:07 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.terms, Kevin Wilson writes:
[...]
on the "flogs in theme groups" long running discussion, I found a notice
from Todd back in April that a change to teh TOS was to be forthcoming
on the subject, but I couldn't find any actual announcement. Did the TOS
change actually happen? Todd?

It hasn't happened yet, no -- partially due to time and partially due to a few
borderline examples that happened in April and May which confuse the issue.
It's still the intention to adjust the TOU to keep blatant non-auction flogs
out of the theme groups, but certainly it isn't the intention of the TOU to
restrict people from describing models they have for sale, if the descriptions
are honest contributions to the theme and describe things of interest to the
group they're in rather than being a pure flog.

Also, I assume references to market sites in ones sigs will still be allowed assuming the sig itself is of reasonable size.

One thought for Kevin and future posters of something like this, the post would be much less questionable if a few words were said
about how the creation was made, or its special features. This type of discussion adds to the theme value, and makes the post meaty
enough that the market reference in the sig is an aside rather than perhaps appearing to be the purpose of the post.

I also again encourage people who have concerns with posts to discuss them privately with the poster and/or Todd (assuming Todd
doesn't want to countermand such). It reduces the possibility of raising tempers. Of course at some point, open discussion is
valuable, but especially until Todd actually changes the TOU to disallow any market posting outside of market (and org and any other
specifically welcoming) groups, I wish people would refrain from raising the issue. Chiding people about breaking rules that aren't
rules is rather poor form (now some of the gentle "you will probably get a better response if you post to
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade" posts are more acceptable, but it still would probably be better as a private e-mail).

Frank