 Administrative / Terms of Use / 119
Re: 2 x Armada Flagship = Armada Warship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:37:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.terms, Kevin Wilson writes:
[...]
on the "flogs in theme groups" long running discussion, I found a notice
from Todd back in April that a change to teh TOS was to be forthcoming
on the subject, but I couldn't find any actual announcement. Did the TOS
change actually happen? Todd?

It hasn't happened yet, no -- partially due to time and partially due to a few
borderline examples that happened in April and May which confuse the issue.
It's still the intention to adjust the TOU to keep blatant non-auction flogs
out of the theme groups, but certainly it isn't the intention of the TOU to
restrict people from describing models they have for sale, if the descriptions
are honest contributions to the theme and describe things of interest to the
group they're in rather than being a pure flog.

--Todd

So how would you "grade" this one?

I see it as a big contribution to the theme group and not at all a flog. Eric,
I think, sees it rather more like pure flog with little or no redeeming value.

Some specific guidance from you, since you're the one and only enforcer of
rules, might be helpful. That's not to say that the general principles you
enumerate aren't useful, but the problem with subjective gradients is, of
course, that they are subjective. We need more data points on your thresholds,
perhaps.

To Eric: One thing I gleaned from your replies to Jude (and I agree with you,
thrash this out, it's good to discuss, even if you happen to be wrong about the
issue itself :-) ) is that the order that stuff was posted was part of the
problem?

Had it been posted in the other order (to pirates first, then to
marketplace) it would have been OK?

That seems unsupportable. The order posted and the order read have only a weak
correlation.

++Lar (gotta run, checkpoint prep still to do)