 Administrative / General / 6520
  WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

Hey all, I just got spammed from Helge Viker; he's trying to pawn Lego sets onto me. I have never had business with him before. In his e-mail, he says, "This mail is going out to all I have had contact with over the past half year. Many of you have (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade) !

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Same here. (...) Indeed. And the recipient list is not displayed, right? (...) It may have been unwanted but I don't think it's rude. He says he's started a small business to sell Lego. Let him, I for one couldn't care less he sent me such a (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) I would personally find it more annoying and rude than if I had recieved junk-mail through the post or telephone solitication. If it is fine for one person to do that - then what happens when ten other people start doing it? Does that mean (...) (24 years ago, 4-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Well I'm not one for me too posts but ME TOO. I got this E-mail to and it is fairly obvious you more than likely got the E-mails from either LUGNET (Most Likely) or Ebay. Seeing I don't use RTL he would not have seen my E-mail their and while (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) It has to be from LUGNET. I haven't done anything on EBay, short of registering myself but not handing over a cerdit card # yet... The way I see it, there is no question whether he's actively harvesting addresses from *somewhere*, since I have (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) He's not a rude guy. I have bought some Lego from him in the past and the deal went very well. He's giving a real offer and I'm keeping his mail in case there's something I want. If you don't trust his offer and are not interested, then (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Well I agree that LUGNET is a public forum and that is why he should have posted here. I am sorry but my E-mail is not a public forum for people to send me unwanted E-mail. Also he may be a good dealer but that doesn't mean I want his E-mail. (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) My issue isn't whether he's a good trader. I didn't ask to trade with him, and I don't have the interest. I don't care if he's a good trader. No, my issue is with his incredible lack of tact in resorting to spam to further his business. If he (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) it (...) immoral (...) I agree 100%. I simply responded to his message when it came to my newsguy address and asked him to remove my address, although I know for a fact I have never done business with him before. When it showed up at my (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Helge Viker currently posts on LUGNET in .market.buy-sell-trade. Which raises the question: Should administrative steps be taken against him for harvesting addresses from LUGNET for spam? Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) I'm of two minds here. I totally agree with Eric, and yet I wasn't personally bothered by the mail from Helge, rather I welcomed it. Perhaps in the far future the following facilities will all be available on Lugnet: (read the Plan, it hints (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

I suggest that Todd give him a warning, in private, about sending spam. He could point out that posting reaches a wider audience, and he is more likely to gain customers. Paul Sinasohn (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

He isn't the only person doing this. I know of at least 2 others who have done the same thing. Paul Sinasohn (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Excellent idea! Probably no way to enforce it, but still worth mentioning as it is important to discourage this by default. --Todd (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) I like this idea. I really hope the marketting world starts to realize the value of targetted advertising. I would happily fill out a fairly detailed survey if I felt that it's use would be to make sure I received only mail I am interested in. (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) So if someone posts something about something they built, but didn't ask for comments, and then I email them to ask how they built it, that would be a violation of the Terms, or even a crime? That doesn't sound appropriate to me. /Eric McC/ (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) No, I think the key phrase here is "unsolicited COMMERCIAL e-mail". Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Well I think this is a good point maybe the statement should read more like this.. (Using Larry's statement as a starting point) "Sending unsolicited BULK e-mail using addresses obtained via any unapproved mechanism on LUGNET is a TOS (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Me too. There's a good treatment of the larger subject (including the above) in Evan I. Schwartz's book _Webonomics_. --Todd (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Well-- an interesting note on this... I got email from him on my OTHER email account, NOT on the one I usually post to LUGNET from... In fact, I don't think the LUGNET system even 'knows' about that email address... It never went out on RTL (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Targeted advertising could soon become pervasive and inescapable. Be careful what you wish for. See (URL) for the latest in involuntary user profiling that could become standard equipment at ISPs. Until people get mad and start to take back (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

Hi all, A message from the offender... I am truly sorry if I have caused any inconvenience for anybody, or offended anyone. This was the first time a sent out a mail to multiple persons like this, and I now realise that it was not a very good idea. (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) and (...) it (...) immoral (...) What about having the tackt to let me now directly that this was not the way of doing things ? Or at least inform me that you had put a negative posting on Lugnet ? I did not see this discussion until today - (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Helge, Thanks for letting us know what you are doing and that you are stoping your E-mails. I would note however that probably the main reason you only got 1 negative e-mail as feed back is probably because most Internet providers and E-mail (...) (24 years ago, 6-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) if (...) The note is taken, and I will have this in mind in the future. (...) and (...) Both Jeremy Sproat and Eric Kingsley has been send a mail with a copy of the mail where I got their email address. I will do the same for anybody else (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: WARNING: spam from Helge Viker

(...) Just my own $.02, the scrupulous ones are the ones who quit. Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  No more spam from Helge Viker

(...) I have spoken with Helge in several e-mails since this happened, and he seems very contrite about the whole ordeal. With that, I'd like to remove my complaint against him and apologize for what I said about him and his business practices. (...) (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: No more spam from Helge Viker

(...) A happy ending for this episode, hopefully. I have been reading this thread as-it-happened (I get b-s-t via email) and one thing puzzles me about the whole affair. No one went on record to explain why the original email from Helge was, could, (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: No more spam from Helge Viker

(...) [snip] Yes, technically it was Unsolicited Commercial E-mail (UCE), or perhaps even Unsolicited Bulk Commercial E-mail. But these days the term "spam" (not upper-case SPAM Luncheon Meat, the trademarked, um, food product) is used as a generic (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: No more spam from Helge Viker

Kevin Salm wrote: <snip> (...) Unsolicited mass email *is* the definition of spam. (...) Nope. You cannot make this assumption. By your definition, I should be able to spam everyone on earth with my new money-making scheme because I assume that (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  flogging vs. spamming (was: Re: No more spam from Helge Viker)

(...) I never defined auction flogs as spam. I've used the phrase "auction spam" or "spamming" in connection with auction noise in unwelcome places. Some flogs are spam (IMHO), some (maybe most) aren't. --Todd (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: No more spam from Helge Viker

(...) Yes I have certaintly learned a lot from this discussion. And I will hereby let everybody know that the dicussion directly between me and Jeremy has been conducted on a very polite and constructive level. Further I will say that I have no (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)