 Administrative / General / 462
  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

No -- carbon copies are e-mail directives. Followup-To is a NNTP header field. Followup-To specifies what newsgroup an article will go in when someone posts a followup to it. If you post message A in group X, and the Followup-To field of A is set (...) (26 years ago, 20-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Hi again. I think I couldn't describe my problem properly. I understand what the "follow-up" header is. The thing that I wand to learn is how can I add this header to my message while using MS Outlook Express. Actually, there is no entry like (...) (26 years ago, 21-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Anyone out there have MS Outlook Express and know how to set the Followup-To field? (...) I'm not positive, but I'm 99% sure that it's not what you want. It really should explicitly say Followup-To: somewhere. It's kind of obscure in Netscape (...) (26 years ago, 21-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <362dcf01.869111@lugnet.com>... (...) this (...) Followup-To (...) Just setup Outlook Express for Lugnet news. Selected this message and clicked Reply to Group. Spent 3 seconds looking at the menus for this window: File (...) (26 years ago, 21-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Thanks for your help, but if you like talking this much after a help...please simply don't help next time. By the way, my view menu (or no other menus) has no entry like "full headers", as well as the help context of it, as I just mentioned before. (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

Selçuk wrote in message ... (...) I waste a lot of my time every day "helping" people who haven't taken the time to fiddle with the programs their having problems with. You'll have to forgive me if I say that after spending 7 seconds to find the (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Online help is a rather unusual place for users to look in my experience, although I think we would both agree that it is the first (maybe second) place they should look. (...) Of course questions about it are relevant and fair. If I had (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Hey there Mike, Note that Selçuk said in his first message that he had searched the online help of Outlook Express and it had no clue about "following-up." Online help is a natural place for users to look. Keep in mind that the error message (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Wow, I wasn't aware of any such message -- maybe Outlook Express gave it to you? Or did the server? --Todd (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) I only used OE for those 2 messages, never again. :) No, this was the error slrn was giving me a while back, the one that I was dealing with in a way that was breaking the thread list. Just got it again, as a matter of fact. Seems to be a (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Todd, have you considered something like one of lugnet.help lugnet.admin.help lugnet.tech-help lugnet.tech.help (if you can think of any other lugnet.tech groups)) It seems like help with lugnet itself isn't clearly off-topic, exactly... (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Yeah, but when more parts of the full LUGnet project are realized, it might be nice to have a forum that applies to technical help with any aspect -- like, for example, downloading/installing images for your magicache trick. (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Was kinda thinking of something like lugnet.newsreaders (discussions -- config/help/this-vs-that) lugnet.newsreaders.test (testing only) but have been advised that lugnet.test would be much more standard. --Todd (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Whoops, I mistook your question for a similar one. You mean like general tech help, not just newsreaders and news-config stuff? Hmmmmm, I like lugnet.admin.help and lugnet.tech.help, although lugnet.tech.* may be confusing with tech-building (...) (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

I would vote for lugnet.admin.help chris barnes (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Oh, I see. My Outlook Express version number is: 4.72.3110.1, the one which comes with Windows 98. Sorry about misunderstanding and easy flaming, but our point of views was somehow different, since I believe that I asked this question after enough (...) (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Hi Finally I found where the folow up option is hiding..:-) Again a misunderstanding. I look for it from the view menu of the main Outlook window, but seen that it is located in the menu system of reply to window. Everything is OK now. Selçuk Mike (...) (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Are you saying that the Internet only has several years of history in Turkey? Because it's been around much longer here in the US -- I was a dial-up home user in 1991 and I believe it's been around since the 1970s. Sarah Heacock (...) (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Hi Sarah, Yes I mean exactly that on. Turkey meet with internet in the second half of (actually nearly end of ) 1980's. since then it had been a pleasure for governmental/institutional workers and, especially, university students and academics. They (...) (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

"Selçuk <sgore@nospam.superonline.com> wrote: [a lot about the history of internet access in turkey] Really, you don't sound that far behind the situation here in the US. Maybe a year or so behind, but not dramatically so. (26 years ago, 23-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote (...) Because a lot of people are either not used to computers, or simply have not been taught that it's safe to experiment. I've decided it's something of a compliment if your users start playing with the (...) (26 years ago, 25-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) You know, I see older people like this and I can almost understand it - almost. Not fully, though, because we ARE human beings after all, so much of our life experience is gained by testing, playing, trying, exploring. So I don't always buy it (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... (...) Mike, I keep waiting for you back down a bit from this stance, but wow! I feel it comes down to this... if I were your friend, and you asked, I wouldn't mind helping you with your car. I wouldn't think you any (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) _I_ take a strange sort of pride in my lack of car repair knowledge. Filthy beasts. (But I agree with your point about helping other people. I understand Mike too though -- it was very annoying all trhoughout high school and college to go over (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Matthew Miller wrote in message ... (...) Agreed! But I hope my point is not lost in the use of the car analogy. The analogy is not central, and I hope it does not distract from what I was trying to stress (last paragraphs). It is my fault for (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Sometimes I hold onto those opinions that are counter to other peoples' longer just for fun. :) (...) Well, if it were something like helping me replace a tail light I could see that, but I didn't really just mean a one time or rare ocurrance (...) (26 years ago, 26-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... (...) That strikes me as a very typical statement for a lot of computer people. I'm still trying to decide why. Perhaps it's because computers break down so often, compared to cars. Perhaps people think they (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Computers don't break more often than cars. Computer owners break their computers more often than car owners break their cars. If people did things like whipping into drive from reverse, poured iced tea into their gas tank, drove with their (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) And if I want a sunroof installed in my car, I take to a professional. I don't try to do it myself. Too bad the computer-car analogy breaks down at this point. Users are *supposed* to be able to install software themselves. Unfortunately, it (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Maybe it's because fixing a computer tends to be an investment in arcane abstract knowledge, rather than concrete physical knowledge. Compute repair = several hours of tweaking settings and reading doc files. Car repair = several hours of (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

I never imagined this thing will be ended up such a deep thread..:-)May I call my first Lego fame?..:-D Mike, I think you won't bother with my messages after the first "...please don't" message, but I need to speak some more. I can get the point in (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Just want to reiterate that this thread (for me anyway) stopped being about anyone using Lugnet, posting o RTL, etc, long ago. Nothing I've said in days has anything to do with anyone people here would know, other than me. :) (...) No offense (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) I think it still works depending on the software. Installing Lego Creator, which I did today, is like installing vanity plates, or maybe new wipers. Installing an OS or a networking package, now that is something more along the lines of (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

On topic bit: I agree with Mike. Asking stupid questions is better than making stupid mistakes, but it's better still to avoid both. And research is easy on the Internet (or I want my money back ;) Linc Smith <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> wrote (...) (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote (...) "sure I can fix it" <walks away> Or "Of course I can fix it. That's what people *PAY* me for." (warning: smart friends may understand this remark) "Hello-your-company-...oken-this- time?" (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Except that installing vanity plates rarely causes a conflict with your car-stereo, and wiper blades don't usually come with upgrades to the electric system.(1) LEGO Island includes DirectX 5, and when I installed it, I could no longer use (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Moz, Did you read this one? (URL) . You have quoted only the car analogy bits that lead up to the main points in the paragraphs, and left out my thesis. I have the feeling that you were just responding to some of the examples I used, and not (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

This is a really big thread, and I am trying to break Todd's tree view of the thread. So ignore this post. ++Lar (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Ignore... another tree breaker. ++Lar (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

another tree breaker ? ++Lar (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Not exactly broken, per se, but netscape was reporting "done" after rendering the referenced append without showing the tree (which I was able to make substantially bigger by a few well chosen posts referencing certain nodes) and that (...) (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Another test to expand the tree ++Lar (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

and another ++Lar (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

And yet another tree building post ++Lar (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

and yet ANOTHER builder ++Lar (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Maybe it's time for lugnet.off-topic.annoying ? :) (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Or, lugnet.off-topic.forestry ???? (26 years ago, 30-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Richard Dee wrote in message ... (...) Or lugnet.off-topic.com...eek-speak? Jesse ___...___ Jesse The Jolly Jingoist Looking for answers? Read the rec.toys.lego FAQ! (URL) in Deja News! (URL) (26 years ago, 30-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)