 Off-Topic / Fun / 210
Re: what is this folow up thingy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:28:02 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote in message ...

I don't know a thing about cars - but then again I *pay* people to fix
my car, I don't latch onto friends or coworkers and brag about my
ignorance and expect them to do the work for me.  :)

Mike,

I keep waiting for you back down a bit from this stance, but wow!

I feel it comes down to this... if I were your friend, and you asked, I
wouldn't mind helping you with your car.

I wouldn't think you any less for asking, and I would NOT ask... why you
hadn't just experimented with the car, like I did in high school?  I mean
after all, I wasn't a wealthy child, and I received no instruction from my
teachers, yet I know a lot about car repair.  Why shouldn't everybody know
about car repair?  Do you have some "strange sort of pride in" your lack of
car repair knowledge?

Now, I *know* that you can pay someone to change your oil or adjust your
brakes, and if you did this it would be easier for me (given that my help is
the alternative) and this would make you completely self-sufficient.  But
why?  I enjoy helping my friends, and it usually means that when I need help
they will enjoy helping me.  And if I never receive reciprocal help from
that friend... who cares, hearing "thanks a lot Linc" is worth my effort.

If I personally began to feel that the "thanks received" was not going to be
worth the effort, then I would not help that person.  But I would not shoot
jibes from the corner directed at the person who asked help of someone else.

I am new here, and I get the feeling that you have been a major contributor
in the Lego internet scene for some time.  Perhaps you have seen too many
trivial questions asked.  Perhaps you have seen the same mistakes repeated
over and over.  I but I think you are in error if you believe that because
you know the answer to a simple question, that the question was directed at
you.  The question is directed at anyone willing to help, NOT to the larger
subset of those who hold the answer.  It is unfortunate that you (we) have
to read the posts from newbies, and yes, people who asked a question too
early.  But this is a newsgroup, and that's the cost of doing business here!

I want to say that this is only *my opinion* and is not a condemnation of
yours.  Any personal affront you might read is COMPLETELY unintended.

LINC