 Off-Topic / Fun / 203
Re: what is this folow up thingy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 06:00:46 GMT

Oh, I see. My Outlook Express  version number is: 4.72.3110.1, the one which
comes with Windows 98.

Sorry about misunderstanding and easy flaming, but our point of views was
somehow different, since I believe that I asked this question after enough
fighting with the program, but you (as an experienced on line helper)
believed that I just asked the question without even trying to browse the
menus.

The worst, I have still no clue about "following-up" messages to other news
groups by using Outlook Express. (of course considering the version that I
have)

Another reminder, I generally try to solve my problems with my computer by
myself. It is best known to me, since even I built it up myself, too.
Additionally, in my country, generally you are on your own while facing the
problems, and solving them by our own methods is a habit of us. Actually, it
is not a habit, but a must, because of the lack of references/resources in
Turkish.

Knowing a foreign language like English (a luxury available to only some
percent of the population, especially having chance to go high quality
highschools and/or universities - requires not money, but brain) and having
access to internet (which has only several years of history, and even much
more new to the dial-up home user-only since the end of 1996) started to
make things easier, but as I explained they were not the way of life here
maybe till 1997.

Again, Thanks for the replies, especially the second one.

Selçuk

Mike Stanley wrote in message ...
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
I waste a lot of my time every day "helping" people who haven't taken • the
time to fiddle with the programs their having problems with.  You'll • have to
forgive me if I say that after spending 7 seconds to find the answer to • your
question it seemed like you hadn't spent a lot of time with it either.

Hey there Mike,

Note that Selçuk said in his first message that he had searched the online
help of Outlook Express and it had no clue about "following-up."  Online
help is a natural place for users to look.

Online help is a rather unusual place for users to look in my
experience, although I think we would both agree that it is the first
(maybe second) place they should look.

I think any sort of question about it is both relevant and fair.  I'm
sitting here thinking I sure can't assume and expect everyone to have • found,

Of course questions about it are relevant and fair.  If I had assumed
the question was brought about by a typical id10t error I wouldn't
have bothered setting up OE at work to try to help, nor would I have
done so again at home to try to figure out why I would see menu
options he says he doesn't.

I'm not allowed to tell people I help at work to RTFM.  I assumed too
much in even suggesting that he hadn't looked at all the menu options,
especially since it seems likely now that he is using an older, less
capable version.  The fault in that case was mine.

Everyone needs help with some things - I'm reading and posting using
slrn now thanks to the help of Matthew Miller.  It seems my natural
proclivity to mix in a little vinegar with my efforts to help aren't
the most pleasing to those in need, so I'll just leave the free tech
support to those with a larger supply of honey than mine.

p.s. I got the error message concerning the long ref line with this
message.  I'm curious as to whether I have caused any problems since I
have changed my method of dealing with it.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide