 Administrative / General / 517
Re: what is this folow up thingy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 02:57:14 GMT

Moz (Chris Moseley) <moz1@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote
Only way you learn how to use a program is by exploring it.  I don't know
why it's so hard for people to figure that out.

Because a lot of people are either not used to computers, or simply have
not been taught that it's safe to experiment. I've decided it's something

You know, I see older people like this and I can almost understand it
- almost.  Not fully, though, because we ARE human beings after all,
so much of our life experience is gained by testing, playing, trying,
exploring.  So I don't always buy it when I hear an older person try
to cop out of learning the way to do something on their own instead of
having someone else do it for them with a computer.

As for people my age (28) and below, I don't buy it at all.  I didn't
grow up rich and I didn't go to the best schools in the country, but
computers have been a part of my life since junior high (8th grade).
Back then I couldn't depend on anyone to show me or teach me because
the middle aged teachers we had at the time were as afraid of the
computers as we were anxious to play with them.

I know everyone has things they are good at and things they aren't
good at, but some people (and I've strayed very far into
generalization here - no further connection to anyone who may have
been involved in this thread is intended by anything in this post)
seem to take a strange sort of pride in being "computer illiterate"
just like people used to be unashamed of having 12:00 flashing on
their VCR's.

I don't know a thing about cars - but then again I *pay* people to fix
my car, I don't latch onto friends or coworkers and brag about my
ignorance and expect them to do the work for me.  :)

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide