 Administrative / General / 3957
  Re: eudora thread bug (was: Re: Hey, all you prog rockers!)

(...) Ya. That pretty much sums it up. Having Todd to dump massive effort into working around Eudora issues seems a misallocation of a scarce resource. The greatest good for the greatest number, don'tcha know <grins, ducks and runs>. And I'm with (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug (was: Re: Hey, all you prog rockers!)

(...) I do understand that. No real need to duck and run :) (...) Personally I can't stand Netscape. I think I'll try his suggestions with newsreaders, but for some reason I really don't like newsreaders. Its just me I guess. I *could* buy that (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

On this rare occasion, I find myself not agreeing with Lar here. Personal experience with Netscape News has been very troublesome. I love Netscape Navigator but Net-News likes to crash my machine or at least freeze it up whenever I am multitasking, (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) I'm back to Agent after Gravity trashed itself. Gravity also behaved O(n) where n was the number of articles in a group, so it just got slower and slower and slower. Yuck. Used Gravity for a few months, loved it (because of its (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) it (...) Internet (...) Don't worry, I won't *think* of trying a NetScrape product :) They annoy me to death, just like Outlook and Outlook Express and how hard to use they are. Especially with their insisting on using a variable-width font. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Then you want to look at Agent, not just Free Agent. It has integrated e-mail. It's a good product - I like it, although I use slrn to do all my news now. That way I don't have to worry about having different .newsrc files on many different (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) That's wacky. Why? Seems rather predjudicial, and about as silly as saying "I have a vendetta against spreadsheets". (...) While that is not wacky! Collapsing threading is hugely powerful. (...) Among those wacky settings are the ability to (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) They confuse me, I don't like them. Is there something so fundamentally wrong with that? Its a personal preference. (...) There's a plus...unlike Outlook/OE which practically shoves Arial down the user's throat. (...) Why do my personal (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Well, inasmuch as you bring it up here, in a public forum, and (more or less) waste Todd's time tracking down a problem your software has, yeah, it is his business. And mine too. I'd rather see Todd spending his time getting the Lugnet auction (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message news:FnJIpw.5Cn@lugnet.com... (...) business (...) like to (...) to (...) reliable, (...) If you think "it's none of our business" you should not talked about them in public at first..:-) Selçuk (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Would you not count me trying newsreaders in the past, being confused by them, and therefore turning away from them? Or better yet, me saying that I would give them another shot? FYI, I've been trying to download Free Agent several times (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

Tim Courtney skrev i meddelandet ... (...) ((URL) I think...) Try (URL) and go to the 'newsreaders' section. There you can find a lot of free newsreaders, I never had any problems at all downloading from there (mirrors all over the world). I use (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) it (...) Internet (...) Ok guys I really dont know what all this means, as a new computer user!! let alone new Lugnetter, newsgroup reader etc etc....I was hoping you could help ME????? (I really do want to know) I am running windows NT on a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Don't slink away! I use the web interface to LUGNET, for the most part. But you would probably enjoy using a news reader MUCH more than using email to browse the groups. (Although I know some people do prefer the email subscriptions.) A (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Could you not swear, please? It dilutes your message and makes you look like you're either incapable of expressing your sentiments in a thoughtful manner, or that you're immature. I don't think either of those actually apply. I'm with Mike, I (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

Part of what I said to Tim goes for you too.. (...) You don't need to swear either! It's beneath you. (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

GREAT write up! crossposted this reply to .faq because it's that good. (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.faq)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Well, I would have picked some other things I said as indicative of "personal remarks" but I get your point. Maybe "How to Win Friends and Influence People" should have been on my Christmas wish list. (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Yeah, I know. Didn't think you'd tag him and not me. Point taken, processed, and understood. Thanks. (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  what is a newsreader? (Re: eudora thread bug)

(...) Rachel, A couple of questions: 1. What happens when you click this?-- news://lugnet.com/lu...et.general (Or, if that's not clickable, what happens when you open that URL in your web browser using the Open Location command?) 2. If you go here (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) job (...) No problem. I was simply using Mike's own phrase in a reply to his post. But yes, I understand, and will not continue to do that. (...) I agree. I am not one to use profanity in my every day life and do make it a point not to. This (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is a newsreader? (Re: eudora thread bug)

(...) let (...) and (...) Same thing happened when I click on both of those links, messages downloaded and it asked me if I wanted to suscribe to those groups. Now I have both duplo and general there under my inbox list, does this mean that I won't (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is a newsreader? (Re: eudora thread bug)

(...) let (...) and (...) Oh! So now I can post from here as well? Prior to this, I was having to go to the original page I posted from when I first came here, to post, or if I read an email I wanted to reply to, I had to go to that post on lugnet (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: what is a newsreader? (Re: eudora thread bug)

(...) help (...) Here I go again, another question, do I now go in and unsubscribe from the mailing list, or else I guess I will get the messages as emails as well as through the newsreader???? Rachel (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Thank you Jeff, for your time in posting this, I was reading my emails, came across your post, and decided to finish reading and go back to it, then follow the instructions. Then I read Todds post (thanks Todd) clicked on the link and ta da!!! (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Hi again Jeff OK you said not to be shy about asking so here I go again, I am so confused!!!!! I assumed that because I had downloaded the groups I wanted to suscribe to, and I had a reply to group and a reply (by email to sender) button in (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug (was: Re: Hey, all you prog rockers!)

(...) But I'm not with you - netscape as a newsreader is a horror. Slow, unpredictable, buggy... The mailclient is finally getting a bit up to speed, but news is still not in sight of the goalposts. My recommendations are Free Agent, or for (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Collapsing threading? Agent comes with the option of expanding all threads initially. (...) Agent does email as well. Some people swear by it. I've just 5 minutes ago started testing it. Free Agent doesn't, though, IIRC. Jasper (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) It is when the product you choose to use has an annoying bug/nonstandard behavior in it. Jasper (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) www.forteinc.com . Not forte.com . (...) And Agent does also offer the option to sort messages by subject, date, sender... (...) I _really_ don't know what the heck you're talking about here. (...) I really doubt Mike cares all that much about (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Why should you care? ;) Jasper (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Yes. Cool! I knew that Todd had placed hyperlinks somewhere around LUGNET that, when clicked on, would launch your browser's default newsreader to read that newsgroup, but I didn't remember where those links were. Thus the long blathering (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) Sure, you might as well support The Borg and use the Microsoft newsreader. :^) I'm at my Mac this evening and don't use Outlook Express on the Mac -- so tomorrow, when I'm sitting in front of the Outlook Express newsreader on my PC, I'll have (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: eudora thread bug

(...) tool (...) to (...) communicator (...) there (...) Am feeling very humble here, but couldn't find either edit preferences or edit account. Sorry. I'm still going to Lugnet and finding the message I want, and clicking reply. This is dumb, I (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)