 Administrative / General / 3971
Re: eudora thread bug
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:28:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
What you've done when several people have suggested not only
_viable_ alternatives but, in almost everyone else's opinion,
_better_ alternatives, is throw your hands in the air and say, "aw
shucks, I hates them newsreader thingies - I'd rather use this
program instead."

Would you not count me trying newsreaders in the past, being confused by them,
and therefore turning away from them?  Or better yet, me saying that I would
give them another shot?

FYI, I've been trying to download Free Agent several times today.  At
download.com, none of the download sites work for it.  And at the Forte
website, I can't even find the program in their products list.  (if it is in
fact www.forte.com).

I personally think it's silly that you don't like the collapsable
threaded view that _all_ dedicated newsreaders offer.  That's the
way news _works_ - by threads.

I do like the 'dots' at the bottom of web interface pages here, but don't like
seeing the messages collapsed.  Sure, its silly, but I prefer reading them as
individual email messages.

Larry offered you a viable alternative and actually addressed an
issue that you had created for yourself since you didn't know what
you were talking about (how to make it use the font you want)

I'll agree there.

and
even addressed the fact that you seem proud to not want to use
something that is extremely configurable, which most people I know
who use computers a lot actually _prefer_.

And here you missed the point.  I am not proud that I do not want to use a
newsreader.  I just have a simple software preference that may be contrary to
that of other computer users.  I subscribe to a handful of groups via email
and that is what I have found easiest for me to use.  I've been using Eudora
for Lugnet posting since the end of last year.

I have tried newsreaders in the past (including Netscape News, Free Agent, and
Outlook Express), and both had settings which thoroughly confused me.  That
was a while ago (a year or so?) and I'm perfectly willing to give Free Agent
and Gravity another whack.  I tried to configure Outlook Express to let me
post to Lugnet and Todd gave me quite a bit of help on it, and it never did
work (something with accepting posts).  I do use Outlook Express when I want
to make a quick announcement post to RTL, but I don't even lurk there anymore.

So for the minor bit of posting I'm doing via email [cad.dev.*, people, and
loc.us.il.*] , Eudora is just fine for me.  The only true problem here is the
problems in the software which cause the Lugnet news software to mis-thread my
messages.  Annoying for everyone, including myself.

And for that you jump down his throat and try to come across as an offended
grownup but actually come across as a self-righteous child.

All a matter of opinion.

I'll repeat - do what you want, use what you want, but either accept
that when you say wrong-headed things like you said that people will
point them out (especially people who are trying to do you a
freaking favor) or, well, shut up.

While its true that I may have been flawed in the attitudes of my recent
posting, you'll (for the lack of a better phrase) do a HELLUVA lot better job
winning people over without making personal remarks.

-Tim