 Administrative / General / 3969
Re: eudora thread bug
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 06:42:38 GMT

Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:
Son, you're coming off as a bit of a luddite. Use the right tool for the
job and stop pointing out reasons why your broken tool is the only thing
that's gonna work for you.

Why do my personal software preferences matter to you?  Is it your business
what I use to post with and read email with?  Is it your business if I like to
use the same thing for both of them.  Is it your business to tell me what to
do if I'm trying to 1) solve the problem, and 2) stick with an [IMO] reliable,
powerful, easy to use piece of software I'm 100% comfortable with and paid
money for?

I don't think so.

Well, inasmuch as you bring it up here, in a public forum, and (more
or less) waste Todd's time tracking down a problem your software
has, yeah, it is his business.  And mine too.  I'd rather see Todd
spending his time getting the Lugnet auction stuff off the ground
than trying to isolate every single little problem people have with
software they're using that isn't fully suited for the task their
using it for.

You paid for Eudora - great.  Bad purchase, imo, having used Eudora
for years, all the way through the current pro version, but it's
your money.

What you've done when several people have suggested not only
_viable_ alternatives but, in almost everyone else's opinion,
_better_ alternatives, is throw your hands in the air and say, "aw
shucks, I hates them newsreader thingies - I'd rather use this
program instead."

You don't want to use a FREE dedicated alternative program?  Fine by
me, I really don't care if you use the web, or Agent or Gravity or
Netscape or Outlook Express.  But if you bring the subject up here
with a bunch of people who are, for lack of a better phrase, a
HELLUVA lot more experienced in these matters than you, expect some
feedback.  Either that or don't bring it up.

I personally think it's silly that you don't like the collapsable
threaded view that _all_ dedicated newsreaders offer.  That's the
way news _works_ - by threads.  You really come across a lot like
some of the old secretaries I've had to talk into switching over to
something besides Wordperfect 5.1 for DOS, but to be honest they at
least had a little firmer ground to stand on - they'd been using it
half as long or more than you've been alive, and they're old and set
in their ways, and when it comes right down to it, it wasn't that
their tool didn't get the job done properly (as yours obviously does
not - at least not real newshandling) - it was just so freaking old
that we had trouble finding people to help them with it and it was
getting a little ridiculous to be running a DOS app on a PII running
Windows NT.

Larry offered you a viable alternative and actually addressed an
issue that you had created for yourself since you didn't know what
you were talking about (how to make it use the font you want) and
even addressed the fact that you seem proud to not want to use
something that is extremely configurable, which most people I know
who use computers a lot actually _prefer_.  And for that you jump
down his throat and try to come across as an offended grownup but
actually come across as a self-righteous child.

I'll repeat - do what you want, use what you want, but either accept
that when you say wrong-headed things like you said that people will
point them out (especially people who are trying to do you a
freaking favor) or, well, shut up.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/