 Administrative / General / 3962
Re: eudora thread bug
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:34:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Salm writes:
On this rare occasion, I find myself not agreeing with Lar here.

Personal experience with Netscape News has been very troublesome.  I love
Netscape Navigator but Net-News likes to crash my machine or at least freeze • it
up whenever I am multitasking, especially if I have Outlook Express or • Internet
Explorer running.  (Internet Explorer and Netscape do not even like to be on
the same machines sometimes)

The recommendation to try Netscape News may not be a good one.  Todd used to
swear by Forte Free Agent and/or Agent; now I believe he promotes Microplanet
Gravity as newsreader.  I am a happy Gravity user myself but I do rely on
Outlook Express for my primary mail/news client.

Don't worry, I won't *think* of trying a NetScrape product :)  They annoy me
to death, just like Outlook and Outlook Express and how hard to use they are.
Especially with their insisting on using a variable-width font.

Once you try Gravity, though, you will like it far better than Netscape News
and it is far superior to Outlook Express (what isn't?).  Plus there must be
other newsreaders out there.

I'll give it a try, but I have a vendetta against newsreaders.  I hate the
collapsing threading thing, and all the wacky settings.  Plus, I'd like it
integrated with my email.

As for Eudora, I must be behind the times.  I use Eudora Pro 2.1.2 for my
secondary and tertiary mailboxes, but I did not even know that Eudora Pro now
had newsreader capability.  Oh, well, I needed to learn something today...

Heh, yeah - and they have a Pro 4.3 beta out.  I wonder when they're going to
come out with 5...its been a couple years.

-Tim (Eudora Forever!!)