 Administrative / General / 3978
Re: eudora thread bug
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:11:32 GMT

GREAT write up! crossposted this reply to .faq because it's that good.

Nephilim wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Rachel Kingston writes:
.admin.genIn lugneteral, Kevin Salm writes:

Personal experience with Netscape News has been very troublesome.  I love
Netscape Navigator but Net-News likes to crash my machine or at least freeze • it
up whenever I am multitasking, especially if I have Outlook Express or • Internet
Explorer running.  (Internet Explorer and Netscape do not even like to be on
the same machines sometimes)

The recommendation to try Netscape News may not be a good one.  Todd used to
swear by Forte Free Agent and/or Agent; now I believe he promotes Microplanet
Gravity as newsreader.  I am a happy Gravity user myself but I do rely on
Outlook Express for my primary mail/news client.

Ok guys  I really dont know what all this means, as a new computer user!! let
alone new Lugnetter, newsgroup reader etc etc....I was hoping you could help
ME????? (I really do want to know)

I am running windows NT on a pentium 111, have got netscape communicator, and
Internet explorer, but am only using explorer, I don't even know what a
newsreader is!

I recieve all my lugnet subscriptions via emails, and it is clumsy and labour
intensive, explorer also freezes on a regular basis.
[snip]
Rachel (slinking away with her tail between her legs humiliated at her own
inadequacies)

Don't slink away!

I use the web interface to LUGNET, for the most part.  But you would
probably enjoy using a news reader MUCH more than using email to browse
the groups.  (Although I know some people do prefer the email subscriptions.)

A Newsreader is a software program that lets you read messages from
an NNTP news server.  LUGNET is run on an NNTP news server, so you can
use a newsreader to read the messages posted here.  (That sounds circular,
sorry.)

Background history:  NNTP stands for Network News Transfer Protocol.  It's
a protocol designed to facilitate the transfer of messages from one
computer to the next.

Have you heard of newsgroups?  Usenet?  Many people now read Usenet newsgroups
by going to www.deja.com or www.remarq.com, but Usenet is a network of
computers running the NNTP software.  A message posted on one machine
(one "news server") is propogated through the rest of the network.
Almost every ISP has their own news server, so you can get Usenet newsgroups
directly from your own ISP, although it seems like newsgroup service is
getting shoddier and shoddier as most of the world-wide-web users don't
know or care what newsgroups are.  (rec.toys.lego is a newsgroup).

Anyway, LUGNET is run on a stand-alone NNTP server.  This means that,
like the Usenet network, you can post messages to it and read messages
on it using newsreader software, but since it is stand-alone, it
does not propogate messages posted to it to other news servers on the
internet.

Enough background information?  Too confusing?  Sorry ... let's get
into configuring your newsreader.  Yes, you already have a newsreader
installed on your computer.

Since you have Netscape Communicator installed, I know you have the
Netscape newsreader software installed.  You just have to know how
to get to it.  =)

Also, you *probably* also have Outlook's News Reader installed, but
perhaps not.

I'll point you to Netscape's newsreader.

1.  Launch Netscape Communicator.
2.  Click on the "Communicator" menu, and one of the choices there
    is "Newsgroups."  Taa-daah!  That's how you launch the netscape
    news reader.

Configuring the newsreader - you'll have to configure it before you can
use it.

Configuring Netscape Communicator's News Reader to read LUGNET.

1.  Visit http://www.lugnet.com/news/  -- which provides key information.
    (You shouldn't have to fill out the posting form again, since
    you've done so already.  Just make sure that you configure your
    news reader with the same settings that you've given to LUGNET
    in the past in terms of name and email address.)

2.  Open the preferences.  Under Netscape's "Edit" menu, choose "preferences."

3.  Find the "Mail and Newsgroups" section of the preferences.

4.  Fill out the "Identity" tab.  (Put in your name and email address
    exactly as you already have.  Rachel Kingston, email addy
    Kingston@spirit.com.au

Now, you're going to add LUGNET as a news server.

5.  In the preferences, Click on the "News Servers" tab.

6.  Click the "Add" Button.

7.  As specified at the http://www.lugnet.com/news/ information page,
    configure the newserver as news.lugnet.com -- port 119.

8.  Set this as your default news server, if you want to, by pressing
    the "set as default" button.

9.  Optional step - while you're there, you might want to also configure
    Netscape to access your ISP's usenet server, so you can read the
    usenet news groups.  Try adding news.spirit.com.au as a server
    (also using port 119).

10.  Save your preferences by closing the preference window.

Then, launch the newsreader (as outlined way up there - choose "News Groups"
from the Communicator menu.

After you've launched the newsreader, you will see LUGNET listed as a
news server.  "left-click" on the server name, and choose "Open News
Server," which will start the process of downloading a list of all
newsgroups that LUGNET offers.  (This can take a long time on a regular
news server, but should be pretty fast on LUGNET - which offers only
a few-dozen newsgroups, rather than the ten thousand or so usenet
newsgroups.)

Once the list of newsgroups is downloaded, you can subscribe to the
ones you want to read.

If you need more help in subscribing or reading messages via the netscape
communicator news reader, ask!  But the above steps should hopefully
at least get you to the point where you know how to launch your
newsreader software and have successfully configured your software
to find the LUGNET news server.  That's more than half the battle,
and figuring out how to subscribe and read the messages is a piece
of cake.  But if you need more help, don't be shy about asking.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"