 Administrative / General / 3982
Re: eudora thread bug
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:28:13 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:

While its true that I may have been flawed in the attitudes of my recent
posting, you'll (for the lack of a better phrase) do a HELLUVA lot better • job
winning people over without making personal remarks.

Could you not swear, please?

No problem.  I was simply using Mike's own phrase in a reply to his post.  But
yes, I understand, and will not continue to do that.

It dilutes your message and makes you look
like you're either incapable of expressing your sentiments in a
thoughtful manner, or that you're immature.

I agree.  I am not one to use profanity in my every day life and do make it a
point not to.  This was a one-time instance, I assure you.

I don't think either of
those actually apply.

Thanks.

I'm with Mike, I could care less (1) what software you use, as long as
you're not wasting Todd's time trying to get a screwdriver to work as a
hammer.

I had no intention of wasting Todd's time.  This go around I just wanted to
have a little bit better understanding of what cause the problem (and his
reply about which specific message headers were in error helped me a lot to
understand this).  I fired off an email to Eudora customer service, with
references to Todd's reply (that I referred to above), and to places in Lugnet
where the bug has caused people inconvenience.

But once you start asking for help, you have to learn to accept
people's input gracefully.

Yes, I do.

My post, that set you off, wasn't the first
post by me offering suggestions. The earlier ones didn't get received
very well. We're trying to help. The right solution is to use the right
tool for the job.

Do recall that even though I was set off by your post, I did state in there
that I would try a newsreader.

This is actually a bit of a theme with your interactions with me, going
all the way back to the ring thing which was our first interaction.

Trying to recall that one...

You
seem to get huffy when other people suggest that perhaps you might need
to change your ways a bit or use different tools, but you want to have
all the power and glory, "Ring coordinator" "LDraw ORG administrator"
etc. Just be who you are and don't go for the titles, and some of us
will think a great deal more of you. (2)

I probably see this in myself more than others see it in me.  I have tried
[1], with the ldraw.org thing at least, to save that sig for more 'official'
stuff like announcements or posting a standard the group came up with after a
lot of discussion, for more archival purposes.  I also use it in private email
with users of the site I'm not familiar with much at all (but spare it for the
regulars in private email).

I guess I find it ironic that you've done so much for the community (and
you have, coordinating the ring is work, and so is getting the ldraw.org
thing to happen, and I'm extremely grateful) at so young an age but you
have some attitudes that make it seem like you're old and set in your
ways. Someone said you're mature beyond your years and I mostly agree,
but in a few places, it's WAY beyond your years... all the way to
ossified, like those WordPerfect loving secretaries Mike spoke of. :-)

Ok... 1) You'll want to see me out with my friends before you set that in
stone that you mostly agree I'm 'mature beond my years' ;-)  and 2) Thanks for
the constructive criticism.  I WILL try to work on it.

1 - but not very much less

2 - note that what other people think of you should NOT be your primary
metric in deciding what to do!!!

I see this in myself too - its not a primary thing, but it is there.  Its
probably more of a personality trait than a PR trait though.  It does go
deeper than the (I want to say ink on the page...) pixels on the screen.

But if you care, that was some free
advice. Me, I wouldn't care. But consider this, Kevin Loch doesn't sign
his posts "God of Brickshelf", after all... we all know what he does
without the aggrandizement and are grateful, just as we are to you...

I've read over this message a couple times, and though it may have stuck me
between a rock and a hard place, I hope I take the meat in here to heart.  I'd
apprecaite it if we could correspond further via email with more constructive
criticism, and more of working out our differences.

[1] I'm not saying I haven't let this run away from me.  This is what I've
been trying to do in the recent past, I'm not claiming to have done that all
along.  Probably my biggest influence in using such a sig is Patrick Delahanty
(Who I know quite well), who I believe signs his mails 'Webmaster,
Adequate.com' or something like that.  Which I percieve is for pure
identificaiton purposes.

For one thing (I may have mentioned this in one of my infamous goals posts
once), I would like to get the ldraw.org email addresses up, so I don't have
to stick my email address at the bottom of each page.  I would like this
because it does make me uncomfortable plastering it there for the same reasons
you gave me in your advice.  I'd MUCH rater say 'email info@ldraw.org'
than 'email Tim Courtney at tim@zacktron.com.'

BTW - Jacob is still working on a solution to set those addresses up.  And
note: though he does a lot of his work on the site behind the scenes, I'd like
to say he is an invaluable resource to the project.  He sets up all the server
stuff I don't know how to do and gives me advice on what I do know how to do,
and I appreciate him immensely.  You state you appreciate what I do, well you
should appreciate what he does just as much, if not more.  Without him, the
site would need another home, and it probably would be crippled and not able
to have nice things like the MOTM.

-Tim