 Space / 35866
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:25:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Rabadan wrote:
   Hello everyone. I was checking out Ryan Wood’s Jade Empire Hong Hovertank post and he mentions that we have seen little in ground combat vehicles other than power suit. That got me thinking, when you have Power Suits available, should tanks be used / are they really needed? Can tanks add anything that power armor cannot?

As a power armor fan myself I believe that they can replace tanks and do a better job than mechanized armor. They can carry a diversity of weapons; they are a bipedal weapons platform system. They can access areas that tanks may not. They can perform “surgical” strikes and with less collateral damage. What do you think?

David Rabadan

This is an interesting discussion that I’ve seen before in other places, but never commented on before, so I figured I’d add my own $.02.

Most of the time, it seems that the comparison is made between future power armor systems and current tanks, but we need to consider the fact that as the technology for power armor advances, so will tank technology. This brings us back to looking at which system is inherently better for the task.

A tank is a relatively simple machine optimized to be a tough, stable, relatively quick, and powerful weapons platform. A mecha is a much more complex system that may have an advantage in traversing some obstacles like large steps or narrow passages, but is much less efficient at performing the basic tasks a tank has traditionally been used for. Mecha type machines using the same technologies as tanks would be more prone to failure because of increased complexity, more vulnerable to attack, more expensive to produce, slower, and because of their upright posture, would present a larger target to other ground units. Also, large separate weapons would be unwieldy, and if the weapons were smaller, they would be less powerful. Not to mention the fact that unattached weapons could be lost.

For these reasons, I don’t really think that mecha are going to replace tanks, but I do believe that power suits in some form may fill a different niche. Small personal powersuits like the ones DARPA is researching may be very useful in enhancing the abilities of infantry if the technology can be made to work well enough.

I personally think that robots are very cool and I guess if the role of future tanks drastically changes, battles on relatively open areas are no longer the standard, and some of the versatility that a mecha design offers is required, someone may build something mecha-like. I believe that tanks of one kind or another will continue to be the choice of militaries, though, not because they can do something that power armor can’t, but because they are a lot more efficient at what they do.

-James