 Off-Topic / Geek / 4824
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:39:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Laswell wrote:

   Navigation in space is hair-raising enough as it is. I shudder to think of how much more complicated this would become if you start needing to account for body stance when using thrusters.

I was thinking these would be more for clambering around and inside capital ships, not so much for zero-g combat as you imply. The suits would reach their targets in projectile pods (ala Heinlein) or use “point-n-shoot” thrusters attached centrally to their torsos to jump distances (ibid).

   P.S. Can you imagine a tank in space? snicker

No, I think the B5 Starfuries are pretty much the optimum platform to start from (as evidenced by the fact that NASA did actually approach JMS about using his design as a starting point for a real orbital vehicle of some sort).

I intended to say that it would be pretty funny to see one of todays tanks zooming around in space taking fire from warships.

   Besides, if tank treads are useless in outer space, what’s so great about having legs? Ender pretty much proved that they’re most useful when used as shielding for the more important parts of the body.

Point taken.

-Joseph