 Off-Topic / Geek / 4796
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:59:26 GMT

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 04:49:59PM +0000, David Rabadan wrote:
Hello everyone. I was checking out
<http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=35752 Ryan Wood's Jade Empire Hong
Hovertank post> and he mentions that we have seen little in ground
combat vehicles other than <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-
bin/gallery.cgi?f=83811a power suit>. That got me thinking, when you
have Power Suits available, should tanks be used / are they really
needed? Can tanks add anything that power armor cannot?

As a power armor fan myself I believe that they can replace tanks and
do a better job than mechanized armor. They can carry a diversity of
weapons; they are a bipedal weapons platform system. They can access
areas that tanks may not. They can perform “surgical” strikes and with
less collateral damage. What do you think?

I think tanks will still remain useful as siege weapons, spearheading
assaults, and general heavy battle.  Power armor might be very useful for
surgical strikes, and urban warfare.  But in an open field, or over long
distance, I think tanks will remain the weapons of choice.

Besides, tanks are inherently cooler :)

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com

lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Hello everyone. I was checking out Ryan Wood’s Jade Empire Hong Hovertank post and he mentions that we have seen little in ground combat vehicles other than power suit. That got me thinking, when you have Power Suits available, should tanks be used / are they really needed? Can tanks add anything that power armor cannot?

As a power armor fan myself I believe that they can replace tanks and do a better job than mechanized armor. They can carry a diversity of weapons; they are a bipedal weapons platform system. They can access areas that tanks may not. They can perform “surgical” strikes and with less collateral damage. What do you think?

David Rabadan

Re: Tanks or Power Armor