 Off-Topic / Geek / 4849
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:04:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, John T. Jensen wrote:
   Dude, one ton?

Half of that. 1000 pounds. Think “compact car”, or 1/10th of a Hummer, if you prefer. Consider the various systems that would have to be strapped onto the pilot. You start out with a frame designed to fit around a human body. You’d need armaments beyond what a normal human could carry, or you’d be much better off just handing out kevlar body armor and M-16’s. You’d need servo articulation so it would be possible for a human to move in this thing. You’d probably want some sort of stabilization system so your soldiers don’t go out and perform their impression of what it’s like to be an upside-down turtle for the enemy. You’d need a battery to power all of this (and batteries are pretty heavy), and you’d want some sort of armor to protect everything. All of that weight adds up, especially the battery.

   I’m not even considdering using enough armor to withstand an artillery or missle barrage.

There’s not much you could do to protect yourself against heavy artillery, but it’d be nice if it could withstand an RPG, at least. If they ever set foot on the battleground, these things would have “TARGET” painted on them in flourescent pink, blinking, glow-in-the-dark letters with a loudspeaker announcing it for good measure, and as we’ve seen through recent history, guerilla fighters have a fondness for popping out of the woodwork with an RPG launcher ready to go.

   I’m in no way saying that this is at all possible now, or even within a few years.

If we really wanted to make one, we’ve probably got the technology available to cobble something together. Of course, if we really wanted to, we could still be sending people to the moon. However, my “fantasizing” comment was strictly in terms of strapping jetpacks onto power armor, not to the idea of making power armor in the first place.

   And, if we’re assuming that tanks will eventually move to hover versions, and it’s fairly certain that we’d need to improove on the fan and skirt design, why can’t this tecnology be applied to smaller, personal means?

Without having any working theories on any upcoming generations of hover-tech, we’re fishing in the dark here, but I’d say that there are two big concerns that we’ve been unable to adequately meet so far in terms of converting them to personal use. The first is power capacity, both in terms of total usage and raw thrust. Yes, someone built a working jetpack, but it was pretty clunky and cumbersome, and carried enough fuel to last all of about 90 seconds, IIRC (and that was for lifting a lightly-clothed human). The second is geometry required for lift capability. Conventional hovercraft work, but their hover-tech is wholy unsuited for conversion to power armor, and the same holds true for “ground effect” airplanes. Rotors would probably be the most functional means of upwards thrust, but I’m not sure they have any business being attached to something that’s theoretically intended for use inside of buildings.

   The whole problem we’re hitting, is so much is dependent upon theory, scientific and millitary, neither of which is set in stone. One hundered years ago, we were still using tactics that had been used in the revolutionary war. After WWI, the rules needed to change, so tactics were altered.

Tactics and technology are not mutually dependant. They can both change considerably without affecting each other very much.

BTW, one drawback that noone seems to have thought of so far is that power armor, if it’s designed to be roughly human-sized (which seems to be one of the favored criteria as it would allow them to enter buildings), the pilot’s legs will have to be tucked into the PA legs. That means the pilot will either have to be running as a means of directing the movement of the PA, or his legs will have to be yanked along with the PA legs. Either way, it’s going to be a rough ride, so PA would essentially be a short-range unit, much like foot soldiers. The added problem here is that foot soldiers can hop into other vehicles to get a break from hoofing it on their own. PA would put a serious pinch on the weight capacity of ground vehicles, and it would be bulky enough that you wouldn’t be able to just hop in the front seat of a Humvee.