 Off-Topic / Geek / 4836
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:06:02 GMT

I’m supprised about this too, but from a little different standingpoint: I don’t think humans have any future on the battlefield, because everything will happen so much faster than today:

Why should you use something as demanding and confused as a human, when inserting intelligence in military units? AI are much better: It doesn’t demand space, lifesupport or rest, is way faster and smaller, and do what it’s told to without moral considerations...

Rockets are fine and is here to stay, but drones are the future. Still, you need humans for humane stuff like peacekeeping and heart & mind missions, but they’ll need heavy space, air and drone-support.

What about tanks and powerarmor then? Well the infantry’s gotta get around relatively protected in hover-APC’s, and they may need some light hovertanks for support, but unless some serious cloaking technology becomes availible that can protect them against rockets, the main offensive weapons will stay airborne or spacebased (orbital bombardment).
A lot of people has been questioning why tanks need to hover for various reasons, but in my opinion, hovering is needed to be able to respond on a global scale, and infantry, (tracked) tanks, PA, mecs (and whatever you call them) isn’t any good if the beachead is on the OTHER side of the planet!
Historically, the reason why D-day succeded were because most of the German material were too far away on the eastfront...
Tecnically there’s a maximum limit of how fast wheeled or tracked vehicles can move - they just barely managed to reach mach 1 recently in one of the flattest areas in the world: I wouldn’t like to drive a MBT through rugged terrain at that speed (or higher)!

When you add oceans and mountain to the equation as well as the need to avoid enemy smartbombs by moving around or dodging, I think that that pretty much sums up why tanks need to hover (and with beamweapons or rockets, recoil wouldn’t be a problem).

Concerning the powerarmor (or mech), many has already pointed out the many problems caused by the complexity and stature of such a machine (and I don’t believe that it’ll be more energy efficient than wheels or tracks), and if the
   incredibly powerful and small power source
that Bruce Schlickbernd mentioned, came into being, there would be no reason not to put it into a tank with a 10 times better result.

I don’t think that PA’s would have any use at all: The standard protection would always be the simplest possible spacesuit with addition of armor or zero-g propulsion after the circumstances, perhaps an exoskeleton for planets with high gravity (but why would you whish to invade such a place?): If you whish to invade a planet and hold it you need milions of soldiers with the cheapest equipment possible (but after Iraq you might consider if diplomacy, scorched earth politics or Tarkin Doctrine wasn’t a better sollution).

But most of the time a swarm of drones would be preferred to infantry, ESPECIALLY when fighting in confined spaces like bunkers, spaceships and urban warfare; where humans is totally unfit, wearing PA might help a bit, but considering the PA’s seen around here, that would be countered by their sheer size that makes them too easy to hit and unable to get around: Think of clearing houses with a giant three times (+) human size!

All in all I think that instead of a weapons/armour-race, we will se a accuracy/size,speed&maneuverability-race and here drones take the place of humans - and we haven’t even discussed nanoscale warfare yet!

-NB