 Off-Topic / Geek / 4808
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:33:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ryan Wood wrote:

   I don’t know jack about real-world tank design and specifications, and haven’t given much thought to potential powersuit concepts, but this has been a very cool discussion to read all day.

I agree!

   I certainly see a place for tanks in the future, as they’ve proven their worth in wars since their creation. When hover technology is improved in the future, I’m not sure we’ll see tanks floating above the ground, since I imagine the recoil of weaponry would send them flying backwards for some distance. Maybe there’s some kind of braking involved for hover vehicles?

Either that or they’d use recoilless weapons (venting exhaust gasses from projectile weapons, or energy weapons of some sort, or whatever)

However I think there’s still the billiard ball effect. When struck with a projectile, they would tend to move more than something anchored. Unless, as you suggest, there was a braking device of some sort.