 Off-Topic / Geek / 4854
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:10:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   We’re working on it:
BLEEX Project
The current powered exos in the lab weigh about 100 lb apiece and can carry a payload of over 70 lbs, but mobility is still rather limited.

all it would take was one shot to the battery to render it useless

A shot to the head will do pretty much the same thing ;-) But seriously, it still need some powersource and a lot of logistics, I read somewhere that in Operation Iraqi Liberation, one of the problems were the to acquire enough batteries for the new laptops (needed for all the new advanced stuff), and to get them distributed. A lot of units had to communicate by radio the oldfashioned way. That may be just be a first time error and because much of the logistics is outsourced, but it pretty much shows how vunerable advanced technology is to even small delays in logistics.

That kind of baby needs a lot more power than a laptop and it’s a lot of equipment to abandon for the enemy or carry away... (especially when the armor plates and heavy weapons is strapped on).

I first saw a short note about it in a magazine a couple of weeks ago, but disregarded it as useless at the battlefield because of above mentioned logistical considerations, price, and weight: I wouldn’t like to cross a swamp in that outfit or even meadows or muddy roads, because the weight is so concentrated. But it might work in urban (paved) areas with a lot of electric sockets around... and if the enemy didn’t come from behind, because seriously, how fast can such turn in such a thingie?

It seems much better at moving crates in a warehouse!

-NB