 Off-Topic / Geek / 4843
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:24:44 GMT

   I think the Pentagon is not planning a successor to the Abrams, because it’s just too big a target. The escalation starts by bringing a sword to a hand-to-hand combat.

A mecha would have a very hard time getting close enough to make hand-to-hand relevant. A M1A1’s turret can do a 360 and stop on a dime from a dead start in 1 second. It’s not the most comfortable thing to do for the crew inside but it does allow them a tremendous advantage when in comes to the firing arc.

   All that notwithstanding, I’ll still build mechs because I think they’re sweeeeeeet.

Agreed, they may not be practical for real world use but they are still cool looking.

-Mike Petrucelli