 Off-Topic / Geek / 4844
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:08:21 GMT

I believe that tanks will stay in service, but will eventually face competition from PA.

Many people have justified that the size of MECHA will keep tanks in service, bypassing the issue that even the modern PA is still roughly human sized. While a mecha is a HUGE target compared to a tank, the same is true for a tank compared to a human. A squad of five of six PA’s would still be roughly the same size as a tank, and with focused, squad based maneuvers and tactics, would be harder to hit and juat as destructive. Add in things like rockets, jetpacks, and speed articulators, you also have a faster, more versatile strike force. This is why you often see squads of troops on foot in Iraq, they’re much harder to take out.

Now, on that tank side, they’ll stay in service simply becaue they’re cheaper, and a decent strike platform. Their weakness is in guerrilla tactics, but in a full force strike there’s very little that can compare to a tank battallion. That’s why we built so many during the cold war. Eatern Europe and the USSR wasn’t our concern. It was understood that we’d get torn to shreds by guerrillas (see the Iraq war), so the target switched to the Asiads and Russia. Most of Russia looks verry simmilar to Kansas. Flat, ofen, and grassy. If you couls get decent sized strike force through China and Indo China, you’re in. No Napoleanic mistakes. There are probably still French- and German-sicles somewhere in Russia.

Tanks and PA’s serve very similar purposes, but in different roles. You really can never outmod a versatile and powerful infantry, just as a calvery (tank battalions) will also always be needed.