 Off-Topic / Geek / 4853
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:14:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   We’re working on it:
BLEEX Project
The current powered exos in the lab weigh about 100 lb apiece and can carry a payload of over 70 lbs, but mobility is still rather limited.

I think I saw that briefly on Scientific American Frontiers a while back. Still, even if you were wearing full combat body armor with that strapped on top, all it would take was one shot to the battery to render it useless (and if they’re able to shoot the battery, you’re pretty much screwed if you can’t pop those legs loose in a matter of seconds. I got the impression that it was designed more for load-lifting capabilities than as a true “power armor” (i.e. weaponized exoskeleton), though the control system is certainly a much-needed stepping stone for any eventual power armor.