 Off-Topic / Geek / 4799
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:02:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Rabadan wrote:
   Hello everyone. I was checking out Ryan Wood’s Jade Empire Hong Hovertank post and he mentions that we have seen little in ground combat vehicles other than power suit. That got me thinking, when you have Power Suits available, should tanks be used / are they really needed? Can tanks add anything that power armor cannot?

As a power armor fan myself I believe that they can replace tanks and do a better job than mechanized armor. They can carry a diversity of weapons; they are a bipedal weapons platform system. They can access areas that tanks may not. They can perform “surgical” strikes and with less collateral damage. What do you think?

Those are all powerful advantages but I think that tanks are more efficient at providing an armored and enclosed area because they’re closer to a spherical shape than a power suit, and because they get mass fraction advantages.

Anecdotally: Playing MechWarrior this weekend suggests that tanks may well continue forward. Could be a flaw in that rules system, of course but my tank and squad decimated the opposing force of mechs and hoverbikes...

Personally I think it’s an expendability question, are you willing to expend soldiers or not? unarmored guys with RPGs and flamethrowers are a lot cheaper way to get firepower than multimillion dollar tanks or multihundredthousand dollar powersuits. As long as you have a good supply of them anyway.