 Off-Topic / Geek / 4834
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 03:38:09 GMT

I’m surprised no one so far has answered the “tanks or power armor” question by saying, “missiles!” As information, positioning, sensor, and guidance technology continues to improve, it gets easier and easier to hit a ground-based target from long range with a missile or smart bomb. Aren’t Tomohawks, at about $7 million per shot, the most expensive missile we’ve got? Aren’t main battle tanks more expensive than that? If you use a big enough missile, there’s no way a tank can survive a hit.

Anti-missile technology is an option, but I think you get back to the basic truth that it’s way easier to throw a spear than to catch one. The Navy has batteries of mini-guns on their ships that they shoot at incoming missiles (called CWS for “close-in weapon system”, pronounced “sea-whiz”--I’m not kidding), but the Navy guy I know never felt much safer because of them.

I think the Pentagon is not planning a successor to the Abrams, because it’s just too big a target. The escalation starts by bringing a sword to a hand-to-hand combat. Then you need armor to shield yourself from your opponent’s sword, then you need bigger, heavier weapons to penetrate the other guy’s armor. You alternate increasing the amount of your armor and increasing the power of your weapons until you have a massive tank or mech that can barely move and that presents an enormous target.

Step one in the process of killing tanks (or mechs for that matter) is to establish air superiority. After that, your ground attack aircraft can pick them off with impunity. Reminds me of the old joke that the difference between aerospace engineers and civil engineers is that one designs weapons and the other designs targets.

All that notwithstanding, I’ll still build mechs because I think they’re sweeeeeeet.