 Off-Topic / Geek / 4841
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 02:38:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Daniel Rubin wrote:
   I think this would depend on the efficacy of the hover mechanism. Depending on the technology involved, it could be faster then a tank with treads running on the same sort of power source would be (there’s alot of mass in tank treads, and therefore alot of inertia). Also, hover tanks should, in theory, be immune to land mines, which would allow for faster overall advancement of a fighting line.

If military history has shown us anything, it’s that nothing is immune to landmines if it moves. It’s just a matter of developing a landmine that’s capable of being triggered by a hover tank (and trust me, if hover tanks happen, someone will figure out how to make a landmine to match it). There have been some absolutely freaky mines developed, including one that is triggered by boats that travel over it, but only if they go fast. The idea there was that attacking boats would want to get in, pop open a can of Cream of Medieval soup, and either get the heck out of Dodge, or plant the flag on captured territory. Friendly boats, on the other hand, could leisurely putter into the harbor, unafraid of getting blown away by defensive artillery. Assuming the hover technology that makes hover tanks feasible doesn’t cause a downward pressure effect that’ll set off the current leading mines, it’s still only a matter of time before someone could figure out a way to catch them, be it a magnetic trigger that picks up on any iron content passing over it, some exotic trigger that detects the energy used to make the tank hover, or even converting the radar capsule from explosive shells for use in a landmine. Of course, since set-them-and-forget-them mines are now banned by international treaty, IIRC, it should be a null issue anyways.

   Theoretically, a hover tank could be made to maintain a distance from the ground less than or equal to that occupied by the wheels on a normal tank, so that it would not be higher in the air.

Without actually developing the requisite hover technology, there’s no way of putting forth an educated guess as to whether hover tanks would need extra height to house the hover-tech, or if they could sit even lower because the technology would require less height than what conventional tanks require in the underbelly.

   Also, while I don’t think that oceans or mountains make a compelling argument for hover tank desirabilty,

Oceans don’t, but beaches do. Being able to launch a hover tank assault from international waters would go a long ways towards eliminating the need for specialized beach assault boats, though to completely get rid of them we’d still need hover Humvees, hover APCs, and hover artillery.

   rivers, and bridge destruction do.

It would certainly be more convenient, but we’ve got bridge-laying technology, so it would still be a matter of whether the hover-tech would be durable enough to warrant using hover tanks instead of or in combination with treaded tanks.