 Off-Topic / Geek / 4809
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:09:28 GMT

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 12:29:08PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ryan Wood wrote:
I certainly see a place for tanks in the future, as they've proven
their worth in wars since their creation. When hover technology is
improved in the future, I'm not sure we'll see tanks floating above
the ground, since I imagine the recoil of weaponry would send them
flying backwards for some distance. Maybe there's some kind of
braking involved for hover vehicles?

That's not that different than today's tanks shooting while on the move
- the recoil is taken into effect, but it's not nearly as powerful as
the drive.  Also, don't forget that the mass of a round is minute
compared to the mass of the tank. For 155m (m109 paladin/doher)
artillary (which I have to admit I'm more familiar than tanks), a round
weight about 40kg, and the gun about 30tons.  At a muzzle velocity of
533 m/s, the recoil is only 0.7 m/s - easily overcome by advanced hover
technology :)  Tanks are both heavier than mobile guns, and their shells
are lighter.

Either that or they'd use recoilless weapons (venting exhaust gasses
from projectile weapons, or energy weapons of some sort, or whatever)

Could always be a hybrid, though that would work better for artillary
than tanks.  Hover quickly to your position, then "dig-in", "anchor", or
something along those line.  Very similar to the way today's mobile guns
work.

However I think there's still the billiard ball effect... when struck
with a projectile, they would tend to move more than something
anchored... unless, as you suggest, there was a braking device of
some sort.

Assuming projectile weapons would still be used, and not totaly replaced
by energy.  Maybe forcefield technology would be used as the main
protection, meaning the projectile's energy would be dissipated, and not
actually get trasfered to the tank.

As someone else mentioned in the thread, if you're into futuristic
tanks, the Bolo series is a very good read :)

Very interesting thread! :)

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com