 Off-Topic / Geek / 4805
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:41:50 GMT

Very interesting discussion everyone.

In my opinion, MBT’s will always have the advantage over powersuits in terms of cross country mobility, firepower and protection. There are a few situations where a single man powersuit would have significant advantages over a MBT one of which would be MOUT actions (Military Operations in Urban Terrain for those not familar with clunky mil-speak). With powersuits, you could send a few to clear alleyways or other restricted spaces, while a MBT could do little more than flatten the surrounding buildings (which may be a valid military tactic as long as “winning hearts and minds” is not a stated goal).

I also don’t think that we will ever see hovertanks in any armed capacity. Lower is better with armored combat, and a hovertank by definition would be higher than an equivalent traditional tank. If anything I think you may see hover-type craft utilized as armored vehicle transporters not unlike the USN/USMC’s LCAC hovercraft in current service.

From a building standpoint I think that there so many hovertank mocs built because LEGO treads are a bit expensive and somewhat of a headache to work with.

Of course these are all just practical considerations, and so not take into account the inherent cool factor of bipedal powersuits or swift hover vehicles.

Bryce Rollins