 Off-Topic / Geek / 4842
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:35:34 GMT

   Also, while I don’t think that oceans or mountains make a compelling argument for hover tank desirabilty,

They do. It’s called AAAV-7. Done with a AFV already. Not Hover, but SES on the water, tracks on land.

   rivers, and bridge destruction do.

It would certainly be more convenient, but we’ve got bridge-laying technology, so it would still be a matter of whether the hover-tech would be durable enough to warrant using hover tanks instead of or in combination with treaded tanks.

I’d suggest reading “Hammers Slammers” by David Drake. He’s ex armor, has lots of neat ideas and cool fighting scenes. Imagine hover tanks, using fusion bottles for power, with a LOS cannon system based on a cartridge based system.

They don’t float. A 170 ton item takes a critical surface pressure to support...regardless of how it is supported on the surface, it still weighs 170 tons.

ACE has been used for exceptionally heavy haulage vehicles in the past. In one of my heavy haulage books, there is some photos of the kit being used in the UK for moving transformers. It still doesn’t alleviate the problem of weak bridges, but it works well every where else.

James Powell