 Robotics / 14882
Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 04:52:15 GMT

Eric Sophie wrote:

The CD-Rom does not explaiin how to use this piece, but in an earlier post I
wrote:

Ok, this is called a "Slip Gear" or "Torque Gear" It is used to prevent over
rotation by means of an internal clutch, the 2.5 - 5.0 NCM I belive means
the range of operable force applied before the clutch disengages. Nano
Centemeter of force.

(I think we established that this is Newton centimeters - a force of between
two and a half and five Newtons applied at a distance of one centimeter will
cause the gear to slip...or half that at 2cm, a third at 3cm and so on).

They are really very handy if you can gear them for the proper application.

That's true - but I find they are almost always WAY too stiff for the
applications I have - by the time they've started to slip, the motor
has usually stalled - or ripped the robot to bits.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>