 Robotics / 14920
Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 20:25:03 GMT

There is one real simple way to eliminate backlash:  Use LEGO's 'small-link
chain' with their normal gears as sprockets.  I paid CAN$7.00 for 135 links
from Pitsco-Dacta's Canadian vendor.  There is absolutely NO backlash.  Mind
you, the gearing problem becomes 'different', in that connected gears run
the same (not opposite) directions.

Also, the chain is beautifully made.  When I show it to people, they don't
want to give it back.  They want to play with it...!

Regards, Jerry

In lugnet.robotics, Eric Sophie writes:
As this discussion grows, I submit: (that) Part of the problem with
Mechanical flex, Gear "Backlash" if you will, Derives from many aspects when
we model maximun preformance from Axles, Gears, and all the elements
combined to produce desired effects. So I will stick with it until Lego
evolution catches up. In turn I stll want Stonger tolerences from Axles and
motors. Fine Mesh Grears. Wait what year is it again? 2085?

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Lane writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Eric Sophie writes:
Hmmm...

Explain 'Hmmm...' :-)

I of course omitted the fact that my solution as described produces no
mechanical advantage just a shaft going in the opposite direction. Of
course, you can always replace the pair of gears on the second shaft with a
pair of gears of a different size in order to gear up or down.

Steve