 Robotics / 14877
Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 04:02:07 GMT

The CD-Rom does not explaiin how to use this piece, but in an earlier post I
wrote:

Ok, this is called a "Slip Gear" or "Torque Gear" It is used to prevent over
rotation by means of an internal clutch, the 2.5 - 5.0 NCM I belive means
the range of operable force applied before the clutch disengages. Nano
Centemeter of force. In short I used one in each hand of the Robot I am
building, after gearing the the motor 1 or two "steps" (8 to 24 tooth) I
then inserted the Torque gear, and ran the axle straight to a worm gear
assymbly, the hand closes with a good deal of force, then when the fingers
reach the thunb, the force is greater then the presecribed limits then the
gear starts to slip and thus preventing damage to the structure.

They are really very handy if you can gear them for the proper application.

In lugnet.robotics, xenon@3dnature.com writes:
Ram Meenakshisundaram wrote:

Isnt that the same as the white clutch gear.  Here is a link to it:
http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/gear/gear_3.html

  Maybe I'm just clueless, but I've yet to figure out what
one would do with this. The Lego Mindstorms booklet doesn't
explain it at all. (My host laptop computer runs Linux, and
so if it is explained in the nifty multimedia CD-ROM that
came with Mindstorms, I've missed it.)

  It took me weeks to finally figure out what the differential
gear really was, and I'm still trying to figure out the best
way top operate the brick seperator. Didn't even know what it
was until I saw it named in a catalog.

Ram

Chris - Xenon