 Robotics / 14921
Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 20:38:51 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jerry Kalpin writes:
There is one real simple way to eliminate backlash:  Use LEGO's 'small-link
chain' with their normal gears as sprockets.  I paid CAN$7.00 for 135 links
from Pitsco-Dacta's Canadian vendor.  There is absolutely NO backlash.  Mind
you, the gearing problem becomes 'different', in that connected gears run
the same (not opposite) directions.

You're kidding, right?  It's almost impossible to build a geartrain using
the chain that doesn't have tons of reversal delay.  The links seem to be
designed in such a way that they don't work well with technic beams and
gears.  I always have quite a bit of chain slack.

Also, the chain is beautifully made.  When I show it to people, they don't
want to give it back.  They want to play with it...!

With this I fully agree.