 Robotics / 14937
Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 07:49:57 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Eric Sophie writes:
Listen guys, I'm not playing around with a "Building toy" here,

look,

When working - creating on this scale, you begin to demand the highest
preformance from all aspects of Lego.

Looks like toys to me.  Really incredibly cool toys!

Tilman's post supporting my "Toy" claim mentioned how torsionally flimsy the
technic axles are.  This could be used to take the backlash out of a gear train.

Pull out four 48 tooth gears, two 8 stud technic beams, and two 8 stud
technic rods.  Mesh two of the 48 tooth gears by sliding them onto the rods,
and inserting the rods into the holes of one of the beams.  Slide the second
beam over the other end of the rods and attach the remaining gears to the
open end of the rods.  If everything is aligned properly, the gears will
rotate freely, and there will be a little bit of play.  While the gears on
one side are meshed, disengage one of the gears on the otherside, rotate it
one tooth, and reengage.  The gears no longer rotate as freely, but there is
no longer any backlash.  Slip 3 or 4 teeth and the gear train begins to get
really stiff.

Nothing too brilliant, but it does the job.  Probably not all that original
either, but it just occurred to me.