 Robotics / 14854
Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:49:23 GMT

Eric Sophie wrote:

Tech question for us: Any body know what an Anti-Backlash gear is? If Lego
made one, we would all have super precise Robots and mechanisisms! BERG
carries them... Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I have done quite a lot of experimentation to limit backlash in certain
situations.
First of all, it is quite easy to make little shims from the yellow plastic
material
the parts are seperated into in new sets. I make ones with 0.2" holes in
the center
0.3" outer diameter. These can be placed behind bevel gears to improve the mesh
and get less backlash.

In the case of the rectagular blocks which are worm gear boxes, you can
trap one
of these washers at one end of the worm. This reduces slop in the worm position
and really improves the resultant output shaft firmness.

In simple mechanisms like scanning devices, try loading the drive train
with a rubber
band. This will keep all the teeth meshing biased and increase the accuracy at
the expense of maximum torque of course.

JB