 Robotics / 14884
Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 05:21:11 GMT

Oh , right , Newtons , I was saying Nano centameters! thanks....I guess you
need a fair amount of gearing and distance to use these gears effectivly
along with opposing resistance, I love the way it works in the hand I
developed, infact in included a touch sensor in the thumb inorder to reverse
directions automatically, but the gear works so well, I often just rely on
timming, when using the Arm in an unofficial testing manner....Eric

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Eric Sophie wrote:

The CD-Rom does not explaiin how to use this piece, but in an earlier post I
wrote:

Ok, this is called a "Slip Gear" or "Torque Gear" It is used to prevent over
rotation by means of an internal clutch, the 2.5 - 5.0 NCM I belive means
the range of operable force applied before the clutch disengages. Nano
Centemeter of force.

(I think we established that this is Newton centimeters - a force of between
two and a half and five Newtons applied at a distance of one centimeter will
cause the gear to slip...or half that at 2cm, a third at 3cm and so on).

They are really very handy if you can gear them for the proper application.

That's true - but I find they are almost always WAY too stiff for the
applications I have - by the time they've started to slip, the motor
has usually stalled - or ripped the robot to bits.